Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Chesire Regiment

Guest MJC1

Hi, My Grandad was in the Cheshire Regiment during WW1. But we don't know why it was Cheshire as he was Irish, but living in Barnet. Also I have a photo and his cap badge is not the same as that of the Cheshire Regiment which is a star. So could we have got it wrong? And where can I find out his true Regiment. Many thanks

Hi & welcome to the Forum.

If the cap badge is a Cheshires one, it will be a sort of star with an acorn in the middle.

What I suspect has happened with your relative is that he had served with two different regiments during the War. This is very common. If he was wounded or ill and away from his unit, he could easily have been transferred when he recovered. This will be because the other regiment was in greater need.

It may be that he was with the Cheshires first. It was only reallt for the first few months of the War that men could pick and choose which regiment they wanted to join. After that , you were sent where you were most needed.

If you post his name and any other details you have (his service number would be great), then we might be able to help a bit more.

John

If the cap badge is a Cheshires one, it will be a sort of star with an acorn in the middle.

What I suspect has happened with your relative is that he had served with two different regiments during the War. This is very common. If he was wounded or ill and away from his unit, he could easily have been transferred when he recovered. This will be because the other regiment was in greater need.

It may be that he was with the Cheshires first. It was only reallt for the first few months of the War that men could pick and choose which regiment they wanted to join. After that , you were sent where you were most needed.

If you post his name and any other details you have (his service number would be great), then we might be able to help a bit more.

John

John

Hi will speak to my Dad today but here is a photo of my grandad and you can see that the cap badge is not Cheshire - I have looked for a similar but no joy - any ideas?

post-9170-1132647019.jpg

Hi MJC1

And welcome to the forum. The badge in the photo may be the Middlesex Regiment. See if you can down load his Medal index card from TNA at Kew.

Hi thanks for the replies, Middlesex Regiment sounds more like it cos they lived in North London. His name was Patrick James Arthur Carroll. He survived the war and was an AR Warden in WWII. I never new him as he died before I was born. My Dad says the Great War destroyed him and he was very ill after returning. I think he looks really handsome, a bit like Paul Newman! I have attached photo of his company.

Thanks for all your help i will look at the Middx cap badges.

Mel

post-9170-1132667264.jpg

Mel

This isnt getting any easier. I have a look at the Medal Index Cards on the National Archives website and I can't find. The MIC's are, much as they say, an index to medal entitlements and all soldiers who served aboard in the War should, have one.

This is the link to the search page. Clickety click

I just put his surname in and, in the final box, "Middlesex". Then I tried again with "Cheshire". I'm not finding anyone who looks likely, but suggest you try yourself.

Let's go back to square 1. What made you the family think he had been with the Cheshires. Are there any documents? Do you have any of his medals? Or anything?

John

• 2 weeks later...

My Dad has come up with the attached. Seems my Grandad was transferred to reserve from Cheshire Regt in 1920. However it say that he also served with The Queens Royal West Surrey Regt., The Middx Regt. The Labour Corps, THe Highland Light Infantry and the Royal Defence Corps. However it says nil to any medals awarded - but had served on overseas active service? Why would this be? On the MIC I have found several Patrick Carroll's but how do I know its the right one? None of them have his Reg no of 81241. Also what does BII mean under medical category. Hope you can shed some light . Ta very much.

okay cannot attached his record as file too big. He was attested (what is this) on 15.9.1916 and was mobilized on 23.3.1917. My dad thinks he lied about his age?