Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Niagara Falls War Memorial

robbie

While I was in Canada last week i took a trip to Niagara Falls (Canadian side). There is a very nice memorial in the most glorious park right overlooking the Falls.

The Memorial has names from both WW1 and WW2.

I also photographed the memorial and names at Niagara-on-the lake..another picturescque town on the Niagara River.

I will post these if anyone wants to see them.

Robbie

Ok..will get onto downloading them tomorrow night. Robbie

Robbie, I look forward to seeing them.

Robbie, thanks for posting the photos.

How did you enjoy the Niagara region?

I enjoyed it very much thanks. Although it was unseasonably warm when i was there, not a snowflake in sight.

Robbie

Robbie

In the photo on post #9, is that the American Falls in the background (and, therefore, the Skylon Tower behind the camera position)?

If so, I'm annoyed with myself, because we walked through that park and I must have missed the memorial.

John

No John. That is the Horseshoe Falls in the background. Just half a mile down the raod to the left of that photo is the 800 metres long bridge that connects Canada and US.

Robbie

On the photo on post #11, I see the name of Leonard Bellamy who is one opf my Stockport researchees. This is my write-up on him (quickly amended to include the memorial info - thanks Robbie)

NAME: Leonard Bellamy

NUMBER: 144/AM

UNIT: Welland Canal Force

DATE OF DEATH: 24 July 1915

CEMETERY OR MEMORIAL: Fairview Cemetery, Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada

OTHER INFORMATION:

The Welland Canal Force was a Canadian home service unit established to defend vital points along the canal, the hydro-electric facilities at Niagara and the various international bridges across the river between Canada and the USA. On 24 July, Leonard fell into the waters and drowned.

He had been born in Styal, Cheshire, from where his mother, Mary, originated. His father, Thomas, was a Yorkshireman by birth and worked as a general labourer. Leonard was their second child. His older sister, Agnes, was two years older. The family moved to the Stockport area in about 1889, settling in Bredbury. When the national Census was taken in 1901, Leonard was 14 and working as a grocer’s errand boy. He now had three younger siblings, born in the Stockport area – Ernest (9), Frances (4) and Joseph (11).

At some point, Leonard emigrated to Canada. Nothing is known of his time there, except that he got married to a woman named Beatrice. It’s probable that Leonard was not deemed fit enough for overseas service in the trenches so was assigned to the Canal Force.

After the War, Beatrice remarried – to a Mr Leigh and, in the early 1920s, was living at 72 St Clair Avenue, Niagara Falls. It was, no doubt, she who arranged for her late husband’s name to be inscribed on the War Memorial overlooking Niagara Falls. Also in the 1920s, Thomas Bellamy was living at 9 Wood Cottages, Woodley. Mary Bellamy had died by that time.

• 11 months later...
On the photo on post #11, I see the name of Leonard Bellamy who is one opf my Stockport researchees. This is my write-up on him (quickly amended to include the memorial info - thanks Robbie)

I found this thread via a Google search.

As it happens, Bellamy's Memorial Cross is in my collection. I've done a fiar amount of research from period papers. The inquest brought it in as "Foul play suspected", but the chief suspects both had alibis - one was in Toronto enlisting in the C.E.F.!

Quite a few of the Welland Canal Force ended up in the Canal, and several others were hit by trains. I wouldn't fancy my chances in icy water with ammunition boots and a greatcoat.

Welcome to the Forum.

Needless to say, I'd be fascinated to see the inquest details. There was no indication inthe UK that this was anything other than an accident so I never felt the need to research more deeply.

Is there anything you can scan in so that I can update my webpage?

John

I'll try to get a scan of the Cross in first. I also have a photo of his tombstone, although it is a little dark.

When I get some time I'll try to precis the press reports, or if you pm me with your address I'll make some copies.

Cheers,

Michael

Piccie of the Niagara Memorial in amongst my war-related holiday shots on this thread. Clickety click

John

Thanks for the clickety click ... that thread was one I remember for years gone by ... and it's funny the same people are active today ... and we actually talked about reenactors without argument.

From the newspaper reports there seems to have been no question of suicide. The two suspects were known troublemakers - one had fired over the head of persons approaching his post.

Because of the boredom, drink was a serious problem in the WCF. That might also explains some of the drownings.

Here's a link to a good picture of the Aqueduct at that time;

http://www.welland.library.on.ca/digital/S...UCT/nfpic62.htm

And here's a good shot of some of the 44th Regiment on guard duty:

http://www.nfpl.library.on.ca/nfplindex/sh...d=89747&b=1