Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

No War Memorial

William Stevenson

This may be of interest to you. Last year, I as the then Chairman of Cowie Community Council (Stirlingshire Scotland) was asked to lay a wreath at the war memorial in our neighbouring village of Plean. At the community council meeting when I announced that I had been asked to lay the wreath, a question was raised as to why Cowie didn't have it's own war memorial. It was agreed that two of us would look into this.

We started our research last November in Stirling Council Archives going through old newspapers from 1914-1946. To let you understand we didn't have a single name and we were researching blind looking for any reference to the village of Cowie in the death notices and war reports from the Stirling Observer (local paper). Reports such as "Cowie footballer killed in action" "Cowie Artilleryman falls in action" etc. After months of research in the archives twice sometimes three times a week, which we have just completed, we found 17 from WW1 and 26 from WW2. We were also assisted by The Argyle And Sutherland Highlander's Museum in Stirling Castle.

We feel there may be more from WW1 but that is all we have found, we will advertise in the local paper for anyone with any information of relatives etc. who died to come forward and any help with this will be appreciated. We then applied for funding to erect a memorial to the fallen from Cowie and have been successful in securing the funds. This has been a very rewarding project carried out during the 60th. Anniversary Year of the end of The Second World War and also while some survivors are still with us. Very soon the village of Cowie will be able to pay their respects to the Lads who made the ultimate sacrifice for them, at their own war memorial to be erected in a memorial garden created in the centre of the village.

We would be grateful to receive any information from people who believe they may know of anyone from Cowie who was killed during the wars. We will add this to our data base. We would also be grateful for any information about them so it can be recorded in a book that will be used to document the memorial. We have had a good response regarding the army and hope to achieve a similar response on the air force and navy fronts.

William,

Very many congratulations!

I am in the process of a very similar project at the moment with a Memorial in Derbyshire

Conrgratulation once again!! :)

William,

Very many congratulations!

I am in the process of a very similar project at the moment with a Memorial in Derbyshire

Conrgratulation once again!! :)

Go for it where there's a Will there's a way hence the name WILLie.

William

A worthy project.

Soldiers Died in the Great War records 33 men who were born and/or enlisted and /or lived in Cowie. If you haven’t got details send me your address off-forum and I will post them to you.

Regards

Mark

William

A worthy project.

Soldiers Died in the Great War records 33 men who were born and/or enlisted and /or lived in Cowie. If you haven’t got details send me your address off-forum and I will post them to you.

Regards

Mark

Thank you very much Mark, I think I've got them now. I now have a total of 62 men from both wars. Willie.

William

Try asking the CWGC for a printout of casualties with Cowie in their details. I have seen this done when researching a memorial meadow a few years ago. Not conclusive, but quite helpful.

Ian

William

Try asking the CWGC for a printout of casualties with Cowie in their details. I have seen this done when researching a memorial meadow a few years ago. Not conclusive, but quite helpful.

Ian

Thank you Ian, I have CWGC printouts for the 62 names I now have, unfortuinatly they don't all have a REF. to Cowie on them. Willie.

Hello,

Good project!

If any name from Cowie turns up in The Passchendaele Archives, I will let you know.

Kind regards,

Jan

William,

I think you might have misunderstood what I meant. Not a printout for all the names you A L R E A D Y have, but a print out of A L L casualties held by CWGC that have a reference to Cowie. Some, perhaps many, will be superfluous, eg coming from another town called Cowie in say Nova Scotia, or with the surname Cowie. But hopefully amongst them all will be some names that you do not yet have.

This can be obtained from CWGC, and I think Terry is on the track!

Ian

William,

I think you might have misunderstood what I meant. Not a printout for all the names you A L R E A D Y have, but a print out of A L L  casualties held by CWGC that have a reference to Cowie. Some, perhaps many, will be superfluous, eg coming from another town called Cowie in say Nova Scotia, or with the surname Cowie. But hopefully amongst them all will be some names that you do not yet have.

This can be obtained from CWGC, and I think Terry is on the track!

Ian

Thanks Ian it's great how everyone has been so helpful. Willie.

Hello,

Good project!

If any name from Cowie turns up in The Passchendaele Archives, I will let you know.

Kind regards,

Jan

Thank you Jan as I have already said, I am delighted with the help I have been offered. Willie.