Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Katahba

chrisharley9

Does any one know where this place is please - I suspect the Middle East, but little more that that

All The Best

Chris

Chris, are you aware that this was also the name of an American Indian tribe, east coast I think?

Bruce

Chris

The 1st Light Horse Brigade were in Egypt on 28 December 1915 and were ordered to draw horses and mounted equipment and given 48 hours to be ready to march. The brigade was sent to Wadi Natrun, south west of Cairo, to protect the Kataba Canal against the Senussi.

Dave

Chris

Using Dave's info (I am unsure of the source), the Wadi Natron (or Natrun) is NW of Cario. The only location near the wadi that is similar in spelling is el Khatatba, east of the SE end of the wadi. This town is near two unnamed canals parelleling the Nile. Seen Egypt and Palestine vol I, front endpaper map and Map 1. A force stationed somewhere around the wadi would cover el Khatatba. Note the Nile delta area is full of canals.

Jeff

eest location

Chris

The 1st Light Horse Brigade were in Egypt on 28 December 1915 and were ordered to draw horses and mounted equipment and given 48 hours to be ready to march. The brigade was sent to Wadi Natrun, south west of Cairo, to protect the Kataba Canal against the Senussi.

Dave

Thanks everyone - I have been researching a chap from the Light Horse Field Ambulance so that is very helpful

All The Best

Chris