Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RFA deployment

MParnham

My wife’s great uncle Second Lieutenant Dudley Hurst – Brown served in the 129th Battery RFA (30th Brigade). In June 1915 they were engaged in shelling Hill 60 and the ‘caterpillar’. On the 13th June he was reported “very dangerously wounded”, he died on the 15th. The batteries war diaries are meticulous in reporting incoming shell fire and none is reported for the 13th – the day he was wounded. Would anyone know if a howitzer unit such as his might be operating close enough to the front to put them within rifle (sniper?) range?

The batteries war diary for the 15th - the day he died is rather poignant –

“Lt D Hurst-Brown (129th) died. Col Stiering acting for Col Sandys on leave.

6 lyddite 10 – 10.15 p.m.specially allowed by Col Stiering as some reprisal for

2nd Lt Hurst-Brown.”

I can’t help but wonder if any Germans were killed by these 6 high explosive ‘revenge’ shells – I rather hope not, although the men in his unit would certainly disagree.

Hello,

It would depend on what he was doing. If in charge of the guns at the firing location, unlikely. If acting as an observer, i.e. he would be with the infantry, quite possible. If in charge of signallers also quite possible.

Old Tom

Hello,

It would depend on what he was doing. If in charge of the guns at the firing location, unlikely. If acting as an observer, i.e. he would be with the infantry, quite possible. If in charge of signallers also quite possible.

Old Tom

Your answer makes sense of it. I don't know much about these matters but I thought it unlikely that the guns would be within "bullet" range. I am rather hoping that there may be somewhere a history of the battery with a little more information.

Many thanks

Martin

Martin: I can't answer all your questions but I can tell you the following about your man:

2nd Lieut. Dudley Hurst-Brown, RFA

Born on 8 June 1897, the son of William Hurst-Brown and Ethel Mary, daughter of John Newberty Coles.

Educated at Winchester College from 1911-1914

Commissioned as a 2nd Lieutenant, RFA in 1914

Served with 1st Reserve Brigade, RFA in 1914

Died of wounds received at Dickebusch on 15 June 1915.

Dick Flory

Dick - thank you very much for this information. I did not know about his initial placing in the reserve brigade, perhaps this was because he was so young - only 17, (He died 1 week after his 18th birthday). His older brother Cecil died at Loos just 3 months later. The shock sent their mother Ethel mad with grief - she spent the next 25 years in mental homes. Fortunatly one child survived to become my wife's grandfather.

Again many thanks

Martin

Some older guns were positioned in forward positions to act as anti-tank defences. They seem to have been of limited use and rapidly knocked out in the German offensives of 1918.

Thank you for this Simon, I suspect I may never really find out the truth as I have just discovered there is no unit history for his battery as it was 'dissolved' in 1916. I am pleased that I have so much surviving material - photo's, letters etc compared to what many have and his memory will not be lost to future generations of the family.

Again thanks

Martin