Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Western Front

tonycad

This Sunday, 20th November, is the 88th anniversary of the opening of the Battle of Cambrai.

The first photograph is the Memorial to those with no known grave, near Louverval.The British closed its attack on 28th November, followed by the German response, that continued until 3rd December.

The epitaph on the Memorial brings into focus how WW1 was man intensive, when a relatively short action of about 14 days resulted in 7048 officers and men having no known grave. I presume that that this figure was high because having been pushed back across the battlefield, the British did not regain it until the following September. In total the British 'lost' about 40,000 men, but I presume that this comprised dead and wounded.

Tony

post-4728-1132343759.jpg

Tony

Thanks for posting your photos of the Cambrai Memorial. I've been doing some research on this memorial and the Ploegsteert Memorial, both having been designed by the same architect. Did you by any chance take any detailed shots or photos of the interior? If so, could I impose on you to post them on the Forum or perhaps send me a PM.

Chris

Ceebee - I have lots of photos of various parts of Louverval, including close ups of some panels with name lists. Let me know which areas you'd like.

Ceebee,

Unfortunately, I cannot help you with interior photographs of the Cambrai memorial, but I am pleased that Graham McAdam and islanders can help you.

Tony

Tony

Thanks for your reply. I'll keep an eye out for your photos in general as they are very useful.

Ian

Thanks for the link. There are some good shots there.

Graham-McAdam

Your offer is greatly welcome. I'll drop you a PM with my requests and details.

Thanks again to everyone.

Chris

Guest Evans of the Broke

I've deleted my original posts.

What i meant was that while i respect the fallen from any side, i have this impression that a more negativite tone (though of course what happened at Louverval is commendable) toward British interests on the forum can influence newcomers and foreigners into the same mindset. And that is damaging.

So to address the balance with the original posters account, i decided it was better to provide a link on the German counter-attack showing that, where Louverval failed, other British troops did not fail, which is remarkable considering the Divisions set against them

http://www.firstworldwar.com/source/haigcambraidespatch.htm

Under the subheading The Battle Reopened

All :) now ;)

Don't you want peole to know the truth.

The truth is that all the Allies lost some battles, the same as they won some battles. To leave out something because you don't like it, is called rewriting history.

Give people credit for being discerning. Your mindset shows with the use of the term foriegners.

The truth can be ugly, it can be uplifting, but to deny it or hide it, is doing a disservice to future generations, and to the men who lost their lives in those battles.

Regards

Kim

The truth is that all the Allies lost some battles, the same as they won some battles. To leave out something because you don't like it, is called rewriting history.

Give people credit for being discerning. Your mindset shows with the use of the term foriegners.

The truth can be ugly, it can be uplifting, but to deny it or hide it, is doing a disservice to future generations, and to the men who lost their lives in those battles.

Regards

Kim

The one thing I do like about this site is that it`s history - Not some movie full of myths and revisionist PC attitude or some trendy agenda . Sometimes the truth hurts and this website may not be perfect but it`d be a disgrace if it was modified so that no one of any nationality don`t have their feelings hurt . Come to think of it the website would fail to exist if this happened

Guest Evans of the Broke

Regards

Kim

Ozzie, talk to the hand.

Not a case of rewriting history. Actually 7,048 is the total KIA from 20th Nov-3rd Dec.. As for casualties 44,000 Brit to 45,000 Ger.

Unfortunately for Byng a lack of available support to follow-up the surprise breakthrough of the first day resulted in a critical loss of momentum. Germans took Cambrai back outnumbering the British 2,3 & 4 to 1 in Divisional engagments and greater numbers of Aircraft.

• 1 month later...

Ian,

Did you ever the photos of Latea Wood and Pam Pam that you were looking for? I have a couple I would share if it is worth the effort to hunt them down. Unfortunately the weather was terrible when I was there.

Send me a PM if you are interested.

Robert

"The results of the Battle of Cambrai were by no means as conclusive as the victorious ringing of church bells in Britain would seem to have implied. The British gains on the left flank did not greatly exceed the area of the ground which had been lost to the enemy on the southern flank. An official enquiry blamed the rawness and lack of training of the British infantry, and the British Official Historian extended censure to senior commanders who had failed to seize favourable opportunities for exploitation. The Germans too had lost a great chance of annihilating the British right wing. According to Rupprecht the fault lay with the Second Army for missing its vital objectives by making its main thrust too far to the north. Yet the Battle of Cambrai with its employment of massed tanks had set a new pattern in warfare, and its influence was to extend beyond 1918 into the operations of the Second World War."

Source: Official History of the Canadian Army in the First World War - Canadian Expeditionary Force, 1914-1919, Colonel G. W. L. Nicholson, P 311