Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'Plugstreet' memorial

Graham Smith

Whilst mooching through these boards today I came across this link;

http://www.ww1plugstreet.org/

Having had a looksee at this very fine memorial I got to wondering, are there any finer pieces of design than this?

The lions at the roadside seem to 'shout out' to all passing that this is a very important place.

I have entered this location into my, must visit one day diary. (now filling up quite nicely B) )

Having had a looksee at this very fine memorial I got to wondering, are there any finer pieces of design than this?

Not of it's type.

I've driven that way three times now and am always surprised at such an impressive structure being in such an out of the way place. I think that's what makes its serenity.

John

I agree. It is an impressive memorial. The design is by H. Chalton Bradshaw and the lions, together with coats of arms carved in relief on panels either side of the main entrance, are by the sculptor Gilbert Ledward.

Bradshaw's Cambrai Memorial in the Louverval military cemetery borrows from his design at Ploegsteert, although it is only a semi-circular structure. Compare the image of the Cambrai Memorial here with that of the Ploegsteert Memorial shown here

Another impressive circular memorial is the Montsec American Memorial. A photo can been seen on the American Battle Monuments Commission website here. The memorial was designed by Egerton Swartwout and is in the form of a circular double colonnade on an elevated platform, accessed by a flight of steps. The outer columns are in the Doric style and the inner are squared with carved eagles forming the capitals, below which are shields containing the insignia of the arms and branches of the American forces. In the centre of the memorial, slightly raised above the main level, is a stone table with a bronze relief map of the St Mihiel salient. I have taken this information from Arnold Whittack's book War Memorials.

They are all wonderful memorials. I hope I get to see them first hand one day.

Chris

Ploegsteert takes some beating in my opinion but my wife, who has a keen interest in classical-type architecture, thinks that the Le Touret Memorial is the most beautiful that she has visited. I suspect that it only receives a fraction of the number of visitors as Ploegsteert or even the nearby Indian Memorial at Neuve Chapelle.

post-120-1132383756.jpg

Take a look at the Plugstreet lions, one shows the benevolent peaceful side of the British Empire, the other angry one says don't fool with me! The primary Salonika Memorial at Lake Dorian has similar lions though the memorial is altogether different otherwise.

Paul

Do you happen to have a picture of the lions at the Salonika Memorial and know who was the sculptor? I'd like to compare them with the Ploegsteert Lions.

Mark

Does your wife have any more details of the Le Touret Memorial? The photos I have seen tend to be from a distance. I'm interested in the architectural details and materials. If you can provide any more photos I'd appreciate it.

Also have you been to the Arras Memorial? Similar use of colonnades, although they have flat rather than round arches and are also broken by alternating bays with segmental and triangular heads.

Chris

Ceebee,

I also think Le Touret is stunning. A few pictures from only a month or so ago.

The memorial itself.

post-5390-1132610538.jpg

The interior of the loggia....

post-5390-1132610609.jpg

The central "courtyard", with the battle honours inscribed above the arches..

post-5390-1132610672.jpg

At various points, including above the panels commemorating the missing, are the emblems of regiments...an example.

post-5390-1132610732.jpg

I have a few more, also some of the Arras memorial to the missing. I'm updating my website, and several of these will ultimately appear there as well.

Alan

Alan

Excellent photos. It really helps people like me who can't get to these sites. I've placed your websites on my favourites list for future reference.

Paul and Mark

Thanks for your response. I look forward to seeing the other photos from Mark in due course.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

I love the pictures down the side of the "plugstreet site"- the ones taken in the snow. It looks so impressive in the snow, it's a shame they are not thumbnails which could be expanded.