Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Memorial Saved

Sgt York

In my hometown on Merseyside, a war memorial in honour of employees of a tannery who died in WWI (10) & WWII (7) was saved from the demolition men and kept in a past employee's back garden for 2 years, not knowing what to do with it. The local church is keen to display the memorial in the church. I already have the details of the inscribed men, as their names are on our main town memorial.

I intend to compile a Roll of Honour booklet with the intentions of giving a copy to the Canon of the church.

With regard to the WWII men who died, is it possible to find out the cause of their deaths as opposed to 'Died' on the CWGC database. Is there a similiar CD to SDGW CD-Rom?

Any help would be appreciated.

Ronnie

post-3-1060898563.jpg

Yes, Ronnie, I have the CD-Rom "Army Roll of Honour 39-45". If I remember right it just said "died" for the men I've researched on it. But if you send me the names by e-mail, I'll certainly give them the once-over for you.

Ronnie,

If you get in touch with Friends of War Memorials, email fowm@eidosnet.co.uk, telephone 020 7259 0403, they can probably get English Heritage to cough up some money to refurbish and instal the Memorial.

See www.war-memorials.com

Aye

Malcolm

Regional Volunteer, FOWM