Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"Voices of the Powerless" Radio 4 21.08.03

ianw

I understand that next weeks programme at 9pm will have a Great War theme. Despite the rather loaded title , the subjects so far have been treated with some balance but it will be interesting to see if it is "revisionist" or "Lions/Donkeys" in tone.

Perhaps some of our more illustrious pals may have been involved in the production ?

Worth a listen , I am sure and overseas pals can probably find it on the BBC Radio 4 website.

I can never understand why this argument is polarised in terms of either 'revisionists' or 'lions/donkeys'. It could have been both. One does not exclude the other.

Why do you consider the title to be 'loaded'? Can you give an example of a neutral title for this theme - whatever it is?

Any idea of the prog synopsis?

Melvyn Bragg has been writing a number of war related books recently...

Hope its good...

John

Yes, of course you are right Hedley. I was a bit naughty and we shouldn't use this shorthand . I hope and expect the programme to be balanced when I listen to it next week. As regards the "Powerless" bit of the title, in the programme about the Industrial Revolution , Melvyn demonstrated how workers power was steadily developed. The series is broadly about the common man and his experience. The programme last night was about the Highland Clearances and in that case those evicted were powerless and it was revealed as a truly revolting episode of our history.

Yes, that would figure. Melvyn's series has a Northern slant and the waggoners pretty unique clan-like status and being attached to the A.S.C would suit the thrust of the programme maybe.