Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st Battalion , East Lancashire Regiment.

andalucia

My Great Grandfather was in the 1st Battalion of the East Lancashire Regiment. he died on 13th May 1915 and is remembered on the Menin Gate.. Im hoping to find where he would have been and fought. I hear Flanders, Somme and The Western front but i really have no idea on ww1 history. can someone help me locate what Battle/field he would have been in. or any info on his regiment please.

Also John Hogan

A Gunner with the Royal Garrison Artillery, 299th Siege Regiment, same again where was he located. and what weapon would he have used being a gunner.

Many thanks.

Tony.

Tony.

On 13th May 1915, the 1/E.Lancs were holding trenches and shellholes in front of "Mouse Trap Farm" and came under several attacks from the direction of the farm during the morning. These attacks were all repulsed, but at some cost, especially within "A Coy".

Remind me later tonight and I'll scan the relevant pages from the regimental history for you.

Dave.

Bob and Dave

Thank you so much, this is great and i never expected a reply so soon.

Forgive my ignorance but Ypres was that Flanders?

Many thanks again.

Its amazing what you guys know.

Tony.

Tony

There is an East Lancashire Website:

www.regiments.org/regiments/uk/inf/030ELanc.htm

This will give you a great deal of information. The Great War history of the regiment was recently reprinted in two parts. Copies are for sale at the Museum of the Queen's Lancashire Regiment, Fulwood Barracks Preston PR2 8AA (Tel: 01772 260426). Part 1 should cover your main period of interest. You might also be interested in 'Diary of an Old Contemptible', Edited by Peter Downham and published by Pen & Sword in 2004. The original diarist, Private Paddy Roe, was with the 1st Bn from the beginning of the war and was wounded about the same time as your relative was killed, so this would give you the soldier's view of campaigning with the regiment at that period.

Jack

Remind me later tonight and I'll scan the relevant pages from the regimental history for you.

Here they are...

1/

post-357-1132258455.jpg

2/

post-357-1132258482.jpg

3/

post-357-1132258508.jpg

...and the map from the same source...

post-357-1132258567.jpg

...and a segment of the map from the Official History of the War - Military Operations France and Belgium -1915 vol 2 showing the situation on 13th May 1915 in your area of interest...

post-357-1132258957.jpg

Forgive my ignorance but Ypres was that Flanders?

Yes. It was , and still is, in West Flanders , Belgium. - pretty near the French border.

Dave.

Croonaert

Thank you so much, this is so kind of you

I would never of found any of this , thank you all im so pleased with all this

thanks

Tony.

Andalucia,

I am a friend of the QLR museum at Fulwood Barracks, unfortunately because of ill health I have not been through there for some time. However if you email this address I am certain that they can help, as they have quite an extensive range of documents relating to the East Lancs.

rhq.qlr@btconnect.com

thanks Big Al

i will try that address.

thank you all so much for the help, i never thought i would find anything about my great grandfathers.

i am so glad i found this forum, just off to tell everyone about this place.

thanks everyone, from a very very happy member

Tony.