Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

found him

Guest grandadsid

Guest grandadsid

After whatching a program tonight on ww1, i thought i would put in my great grandads name in a search after 2 hours i came across the war graves commission site, put in his name and i found him :D.

My late great gran always thought that he was never found and that he did not have a grave.

I have found out that he had Medals my gran never got them how do i get them for her ? and how can i find out where he was killed.

Needless to say i will be going over very soon with some flowers from my gran.

Now the spooky bit i have been going over to france for many years at least 20 times a year,every time i get off the boat i get a tingle in the back of my neck and a feeling of warmth and a urge to go to South, i have told my family this and they think i am mad, but guess where my grandad is Etaples south of Calais

R.I.P Sydney Kirtland 17495 5th bn oxford and Bucks light infantry.

Killed 04.10.16 aged 33.

Husband to my lovely gran Mable kirtland R.I.P.

Thanks.

Rob

Rob,

Welcome to the forum, a great result, pay your respects to Sydney and maybe your odd feeling will go away.

Look on the mother site The Long Long Trail for more information on the Ox & Bucks.

Regards Charles

Etaples was a base camp behind the lines. He would probably have been at one of the permanent hospitals there and died of his wounds. The 5th Ox & Bucks were in the 14th Division that were involved in the battle of Flers-Courcellette on 15th September 1916 (part of the Battle of the Somme, where Tanks were first used). Sydney may well have been wounded in that battle.

I'm afraid they have stopped issuing/re-issuing medals for WW1.

Steve.

Steve.