Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

152 Heavy Battery RGA

bcarleton

Dick,

I am trying to reconstruct the operational history of this unit 1912-19. There wasn't much to work with at NA Kew. Some of your titles look like they may help, A Battery 84 Brigade, Heavy Batteries RGA and With the Heavies at Flanders (24 HB seemed to travel with 152 HB).

Time permitting, I would be interested to know if any of these titles from your collection mention anything of 152 HB.

If these histories have anything useful to my search, I would also wonder if the book is available to buy or has an ISBN that I might order it through a library. I looked for books about heavy artillery at the IWM a few months ago and came up empty handed.

bc

bc,

The 152nd(Hackney)Heavy Battery,R.G.A. was formed as a Locally Raised New Army battery, by the Mayor & Borough of Hackney on the 1st September 1915 and taken over by the War Office on the 1st February 1916. It was disbanded on the 26th October 1919.

I'm afraid I can't help as to events regarding it's war service, but in November 1918 152nd(Hackney)Heavy Bty,R.G.A. were serving as Army Troops with 84th(Mixed)Bde,R.G.A., Third Army. The Brigade consisted of the following units;-

24th(Heavy)Bty,R.G.A. - 6x 60pounder guns.

152nd(Hackney)Heavy Bty,R.G.A. - 6x 60pounder guns.

276th(Siege)Bty,R.G.A. - 6x 6inch Howitzers.

336th(Siege)Bty,R.G.A. - 6x 6inch Howitzers.

77th(Siege)Bty,R.G.A. - 6x 8inch Howitzers.

34th(Siege)Bty,R.G.A. - 6x 9.2inch Howitzers.

Graham.