Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Maximum age for Nurses

Guest Tabby

Was there an age limit on accepting nurses for service in France? My grandmother served in France in 1914 and at about this time she became younger by six years. She served with the Red Cross & St John.

Geraldine

Hallo Geraldine

I was pointed in the direction of the Rootschat page, but might as well join the two up here.

At that time women rarely started their three year nurse training until they were over 21, and in many cases hospitals insisted on them being at least 25, so the fully trained nurses going overseas during the war were unlikely to be under 25. I don't know if the British Red Cross Society imposed age limits, but at the beginning of the war, women joining the military nursing services - QAIMNS and the Territorial Force Nursing Service had to be between 25 and 35 on appointment, unless they had extensive experience and were directly appointed to a position as Matron. As time went on, and the shortage of trained women became acute, there was rather more flexibility about age, and they were certainly accepted [for wartime service only] up to the age of 45 or so if they were fit.

I don't know how old your grandmother was, so can't comment on whether she was 'too old' but in view of the fact that she was married in 1915, and presumably had a family :rolleyes: I imagine that her age wasn't a problem! The rules about marriage were relaxed a great deal during the war years, and there was such a shortage of staff that by 1916 married women were being positively encouraged to join, or remain in, the nursing services for the duration of the war, but many women still chose to leave and devote their energies to other things [and who could blame them!].

There will be no notes for her at the National Archives - nurses' service records are confined to those women who saw service with [or attached to] QAIMNS or the Territorial Force Nursing Service, and those who served solely with the BRCS and St. John will not have files there. Perhaps you could write [if you haven't already done so] to the BRCS who hold some personnel records:

British Red Cross Society - Personnel Records

Sue

Thanks for that information. I think the upper age limit is key to it. She would have been 36 in 1914 and if the Red Cross and St John had the same rules she was too old - so she knocked a few years off. When she married in late 1915 her age reduced to 32 on the marriage certificate.

Geraldine