Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Dorsetshire Regt 1917

Guest R Lamb

I am not a military nor a family historian. All I knew was grandpa was married in and lived in Evesham up to 1913 ie up to the birth of his last child. The trail went completely cold from that point.

Then blow me down having found the wonderful CWGC site I discover a few days ago he was a private no 16984 in C Coy 6 Bn Dorsetshire Regt and died aged 29 on 13 April 1917, is buried at Duisans Cemetery Etrun near Arras and has the Victory and British Medals. I could, it seems, spend 60 quid at the National Archives ( assuming he is not in the Burnt Series) to find out from his service record where he enlisted, his home address etc but I could nearly fly to Heathrow- Kew from here in Oz for that amount and do it myself...

So if anyone can assist with the following questions I would be very grateful:

* would he have to have enlisted at Dorchester? ( ie did the family move from Evesham to Dorset after 1913)

* if he was, say, still living in Evesham in 1914-15 would he have to have enlisted in another "county" regiment other than the Dorsetshire Regt?

* what would the likelihood be that he was conscripted ( married three children aged 27 in 1915)

* I presume the Dorsetshire Regt was involved in the Battle of Arras?

Thanks for any help. Cheers RL

The fact that he was with the Dorsets when he died is no indication that he was with them when he joined-up, it was fairly common for a man to be transfered between units.

I suggest that your next step is to invest £3.50 to obtain a copy of his Medal Index Card from here;

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...line/medals.asp

As well as his medals, this should show you the units in which he served, when he first went overseas and maybe some other details.

Roy

This may help you in putting together his last days. The 6th Dorsets moved up from the Somme area to Warloy on march 1st and began training for the coming Arras offensive. On april 9th the battalion moved forward at 4pm and the night was spent out in open fields or under limbers in fields west of Arras, the weather was atrocious at this time with frequent snowstorms. The following night was spent in cellars under the Grande pLace in the centre of Arras. On the 11th the battalion was ordered forward to relieve units of the 44th brigade and in the evening they moved towards trenches in the sunken road south of the river scarpe. The move towards the trenches is described as a nightmare, no guides, pitch darkness and the Cambrai road choked with transport and double columns of troops. D, C and A companies moved into the forward positions and consolidation was made by daylight on the 2th april. The 9th division were attacking north of the river and the Dorsets observed the barrage. Orders arrived urging the Dorsets to join the battle but insufficient time was given for preparation and plans were badly coordinated. At 4.45 quick verbal orders were given, only 15 minutes before zero for a move forward. The 1st objective was a spur east of Lone Copse ( see croenart the forum map expert). The time given for zero hour proved impossible to keep to, the barrage was inaccurate and wild and completely failed to knock out the enemy machine guns firing from the north. The leading companies started off at 6. 20 pm, you can imagine the light at this time of year, and advanced 1000 yards. They were hit by MG and shell fire the moment they left the trenches. The psur was eventually reached, A company got off reasonably lightly, but all C and B company officers, bar one, were killed or wounded. Sergt Wood took over the command of C company , led on the survivors and organized the position. Two platoons were sent up from reserve after 8pm. As the attck further north had more or less failed a retirement was ordered at 11 pm and the Dorsets made their back by 3.15 am Casualties were 4 officers killed, wounded and 84 other ranks. A search was made that night for the dead and wounded and Sergt Burgess received the MM for his work that night. In the words of the battalion historian it was ' a meloncholy waste'. Hope this helps.

oh, and congatulations at being our 9001st member !!!

on the 13th the dorsets were moved back into support lines and were shelled and gassed and spent the night in respirators, they moved back to the Railway Triangle and then to Arras Caves, here two heavy shells killed two men and wounded twenty one. Could this be your grand father ?

I don't think men were conscripted before early 1916 so he must have volunteered. I imagine he was drafted into the battalion, many were, in fact more than a thousand before the Arras battles. My great uncle was in the 6 th Dorsets and survived the war.

Duisans cemetery 8 kms west of Arras. It was started in feb 17 and was the 8th casualty clearing station. I'm guessing but your grandfather was probably brought back here wounded after the april 12th attack and died of his wounds.

post-831-1132130801.jpg

RL

What was his name?

I'm going to Arras in a couple of weeks and will photgraph his grave if you wish.

Roy

dear pals my grandad was in the 6th bn dorsets he was killed on friday the 13th of april 1917 in arras by a shell i think only two dorset men were killed on that day by the same shell my grandad edgar tristram and john wilks so is your grandad wilks i have a letter sent to my nan saying that edgar was buried side by side with a comrade named wilks the man who conducted the funeral was lieut d c hambly he was killed by a sniper on the 14th may 1917 if any pals have any information photos etc on the 6th dorsets please email me all the best tom

Guest dorsetbaby

Hi Everyone this is my first posting so bare with me please. I believe that my grandfather and some of his brothers were in the Dorsetshire Reg. None of them died in the war. I am now wondering how I can find out about where my grandfather served, where he went and if he had any medals. As I do recall seeing some medals when I was young. I never got to meet my grandfather as he died in 1947 and I was not born until 1970. I have only 1 pic of him and that is with his 5 brothers. I believe this pic was either taken just before ww1 or just after when they got back. My problem is I don't know where to start to find out about his service history. Can anyone help me please.

With regards Dorsetbaby ;)

public records at the national archives, medal rolls.

public records at the national archives, medal rolls.

I've pasted a link to their site on an earlier post in this thread.

Roy

Donna,

It is always harder to trace a survivor than a casualty.

Tell us as much as you know about his war service, even if it is only his full name! :)

Roy

So if anyone can assist with the following questions I would be very grateful:

* would he have to have enlisted at Dorchester? ( ie did the family move from Evesham to Dorset after 1913)

* if he was, say, still living in Evesham in 1914-15 would he have to have enlisted in another "county" regiment other than the Dorsetshire Regt?

* what would the likelihood be that he was conscripted ( married three children aged 27 in 1915)

* I presume the Dorsetshire Regt was involved in the Battle of Arras?

Thanks for any help. Cheers RL

Is he Private James Albert LAMB 16894 6th Dorsets?

SDGW gives place of birth as Hooken Norton, Oxford (guess that should be Hook Norton!) and enlisted Poole, Dorset. Died of wounds on 13/04/1917, so he was not one of the two killed outright by the shell mentioned in another posting.

Just checked the Evesham War memorial, not listed there. Does not look like a local lad there.

cheers,

dear pals my grandad was in the 6th bn dorsets he was killed  on friday the 13th of april 1917 in arras by a shell  i think only two dorset men were killed on that day  by the same shell my grandad edgar tristram and john wilks so is your grandad wilks i have a letter sent to my nan saying that edgar was buried side by side with a comrade named wilks the man who conducted the funeral was lieut d c hambly he was killed by a sniper on the 14th may 1917  if any pals have any information photos etc on the 6th dorsets please email me  all the best  tom

Tom,

I've just checked SDGW and it seems that FIVE men from the 6th Dorsets died that day.

Checking on the CWGC site it seems that the location of your grandfather's grave is now unknown and that he is commemorated on the Arras Memorial to the Missing.

Would you like me to photograph his name when I'm over there next month?

Roy

Grandpa's Trail

Not too sure how to reply to the posts by you all - but here goes ....

A sincere thanks all for your rapid and accurate responses. Getting rather poignant really and indeed a "melancholy waste" for B and C coys of 6th Dorsets in early April 1917. I asked re enlistment because one of Pte James Lamb's sons was my father born 1911; his younger brother was born 1913. Thus if Pte James A Lamb enlisted in Poole in say 1915 he left behind a young wife and three young children who clearly were hard pressed to remember him after he did not return. Obviously the family had moved to Poole from Evesham between 1913 and say 1915. His widow remarried in 1920 to a Staff Sgt Hambley Tank Corps Bovington Camp Wool Dorset. After that the trail runs cold again. I can partially pick it up by looking at my father's service record which I hold. My father James W H Lamb enlisted as a boy soldier at Dorchester in 1925 aged 14 and and served 1931 to 1939 in India (twice), Egypt and Sudan then during WW2 1939 to 1944 in Egypt and Iraq as a WO1 Armourer REME. He was repatriated back to UK in late 1944 and died in early 1946. He is buried in Fulford Cemetery York and is also on the CWGC site. My guess is that he did not know much at all about his father's death in 1917 and being buried in France. Rather poignant that father and son, both named James Lamb, would be commemorated by the CWGC.

Thanks again. I know a lot more than I did a few days ago. If someone is going to Arras soon and could take a photo I would appreciate that very much. Cheers RL

A trawl through the records at Poole may do the trick, I know that you are too far away and as I no longer live there it won't be possible for me. I will try and find the address of someone who may be able to help.

Grandpa's Trail

Thanks again. I know a lot more than I did a few days ago. If someone is going to Arras soon and could take a photo I would appreciate that very much. Cheers RL

I'm going in two weeks time, consider it done.

Roy

Guest dorsetbaby

Morning everyone,

My grandfathers full name was Albert Charles Gordon Cutler. Though I believe he was known as Charles or Charlie. He was born Jan 5th 1888. Dorchester. I know that when my father was born they were living at Chez Nous, 21 Palmer Road, Oakdale, Poole. So they had lived there way before 1929. He was married to Bessie Pitfield. I am lead to believe that my grandfather and some of his brother, if not all of them servered in ww1. I only thought it would be the Dorsetshire Regiment. As in 1943 my uncle Richard Frank Cutler (b1920) was in them and killed. So I was just guessing that they would of been in the same. So i may be wrong. My grandfathers brothers were as follows:

William James Cutler born 1889

Jack Cutler b 1893

Henley Albert Cutler abt 1894

Richard Frank Cutler b Apr 3rd 1899. I know he was in the serves, as I have pics of him with Monty in later years.

Phillip (Boydie) HArold Cutler 1903.

Not sure if any of that is any help. But would appreciate any help at all. With thanks Donna :rolleyes:

Donna,

I've just done a search on the CWGC site and SDGW. This may be your man;

Charles Cutler

Born and enlisted: Poole

Rank & number: Private, 55032

Regiment: Machine Gun Corps (formerly 18101, Dorset Regt.)

Died: 15/04/17

Son of Mr & Mrs G. Cutler

Husband of Mrs Cutler, 6, Palmerston Row, West St., Poole

Buried: Mont Huon Military Cemetery, Le Treport

Hope this helps

Roy

• 3 weeks later...
I'm going in two weeks time, consider it done.

Roy

Richard,

I have the photos and will post them when I get home in q few day time.

Roy