Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Holidays 2005 wish list

andigger

Its an annual ritual (at least for me) but its time to start getting the Christmas list in order so Santa has enough time to get everything together for the big day. So in the interest of sharing words of wisdom about books that are definite "Not to be missed" and to compile our own wish lists what are the books you need to have or would recommend other Pals add to their shelves this holiday season?

Andy

Want:

Christmas Truce, Weintraub

The Great War and Modern Memory, Fussell

Images of Flanders, Platteeuw

Recommend:

Copse 125, Junger

Loos, Most Unfavorable Ground, Cherry

Mons Star

I've just finished "The Great War and Modern Memory" by Fussell, which was tremendously interesting and thought-provoking. I'm now reading Frederic Manning's "Her Privates We", which is a must-read if you haven't already.

Otherwise, personally I would like to find under my Xmas tree the following:

"Boy Soldiers of the Great War" by van Emden

"Die Hard, Aby" by Bevistein

"Call To Arms" by Messenger

I have a number of items listed in my Amazon "wish list".

I'm happy to distribute it to anyone interested.

:lol:

Amongst others it contains (in no particular order)

The German Army on the Somme 1914-1916 by Jack Sheldon

Major and Mrs. Holt's Concise Guide to the Western Front - South: The First Battle of the Marne, the Aisne 1914, Verdun, the Somme 1916

From the Uttermost Ends: A Guide to Sites of New Zealand Interest on the Western Front in Belgium and France by Ian McGibbon

Beneath Flanders Fields: The Tunnellers' War 1914-1918 by Peter Barton

Any would be most welcome - especially with a bottle of Malt to sip whilst reading!

Mike

Want List:

Pyrrhic Victory : French Strategy and Operations in the Great War Robert A. Doughty

The German Army on the Somme 1914-1916 by Jack Sheldon

Meuse-Argonne Diary: A Divison Commander in World War 1 by William M. Wright, Robert H. Ferrell

Collapse at Meuse-Argonne: The Failure of the Missouri-Kansas Division by Robert H. Ferrell

I'm particularly intrigued by the last two, as far as recommending I haven't read a 'new' book in years!

Neil

Christmas Truce, Weintraub

[

Andy

Seeing as you made me an honorary Virginian, I feel honour-bound (I guess that should now be...honor) to advise you that this might be the second most gut-wrenchingly detestable book that you will have in your collection. The first will be Mosier's Myths of the Great War (?).

Cross it off your list. Now! You do not want Mr Claus to think you are a man of no discernment. Substitute it for something tasteful - like a pair of South Park socks.

John

(PS: On the other hand, if you want a really good read about the truce go for "Christmas Truce" by Brown & Seaton. Streets ahead in detail and readability)

(PPS: My copy of Weintraub got given to a charity shop - and not one that I normally support. That's how bad it is)

Andy

Seeing as you made me an honorary Virginian, I feel honour-bound (I guess that should now be...honor) to advise you that  this might be the second most gut-wrenchingly detestable book that you will have in your collection. The first will be Mosier's Myths of the Great War (?).

He must have been having an off day. I thoroughly enjoyed A Stillness Heard Around the World about the armistice in 1918 (much better than the recent one by Persico).

Anyhow, my Christmas wish is rather obsure...

Rupprecht Mein Kriegstagebuch

and

Reichsarchiv Der Weltkrieg

Copies of which are floating around but would cost more than the debt of a small African country...

Whilst "A stillness heard around the world" is very readable and enjoyable I would (like John) urge you to avoid Weintraub's Christmas Truce. I think it says it all when he quotes from a fictional character's experiences of the truce as if he were a real person. Brown and Seaton is the book to read, accept none other (as they say).

What do I want for Christmas - perhaps some volumes of Marder's "From the Dreadnought to Scapa Flow" as I feel the need for a broader perspective on the Navy at war and perhaps Jack Sheldon's "German Army on the Somme". The malt whisky can be taken as read (a nice Ledaig, perhaps) and that classic collection of Verdian legato, Les Introuvables du Chant Verdien to provide accompanying vocal gems.

I wonder if Kate is listening?

I must admit I couldn't remember the proper Christmas truce book that I was wanting by John has corrected me. I am after "Christmas Truce" by Malcolm Brown and Shirley Seaton.... I do already have Weintraub's book. I am not as vehement about it as John, but it was not authority book by any stretch.

Andy

Andy

Seeing as you made me an honorary Virginian, I feel honour-bound (I guess that should now be...honor) to advise you that  this might be the second most gut-wrenchingly detestable book that you will have in your collection. The first will be Mosier's Myths of the Great War (?).

Cross it off your list. Now! You do not want Mr Claus to think you are a man of no discernment. Substitute it for something tasteful - like a pair of South Park socks.

John

(PS: On the other hand, if you want a really good read about the truce go for "Christmas Truce" by Brown & Seaton. Streets ahead in detail and readability)

(PPS: My copy of Weintraub got given to a charity shop - and not one that I normally support. That's how bad it is)

Hear, hear. A truly awful book...I'm just gald i got it out of the library.

For me, it would have to be the History of the 15th Division (original version), but it'll probably be the latest by Ben Schott :(

Hear, hear.  A truly awful book...I'm just gald i got it out of the library.

I had the uneviable task of explaining to Mrs H why the book she had lovingly and thoughtfully bought me as a pressie was going to the charity shop and was not staying on the bookshelves.

Vehement? Who? Me?

John

Andy,

I second,third,fourth,etc John's comments on the Weintraub Book.

Please put the Brown and Seaton Book on your Holiday wish list instead,you will not be disappointed.

George

My Christmas list:

Call to arms by Messenger

German Army on the Sommeby Sheldon

Jutland: Death in grey wastes" by Hart and Steel

I suggest for your Christams:

Franz Conrad von Hotzendorf: architect of Apocalypse by L. Sondhaus, a beautiful bio of the commander of Austro-Hungarian forces and a analysis of his responsibility in the outbreak of war.

Allied Artillery of World War One by Ianv Hogg

The Germans that never lose by Edwin P. Hoyt (the best account of the Konigsberg's adventure)

The battle of Otranto Straits by P.G. Halpern: English, French and Italian navies against the Austrian battleships in the Adriatic.

On anybody's Christmas Wish List there has to be:

'There's A Devil in the Drum' by John Lucy

and

'Diary Of An Old Contemptible' edited by Peter Downham

Sean

My Christmas list:

Call to arms by Messenger

German Army on the Sommeby Sheldon

Antonio - no quibbles with the Sheldon (it's excellent), but - and I hate to do anyone out of whatever proceeds authors get - but I have it from my local Waterstone's that Messenger is available in soft back in the spring (April?), so you could save a few bob. Steven

Antonio - no quibbles with the Sheldon (it's excellent), but - and I hate to do anyone out of whatever proceeds authors get - but I have it from my local Waterstone's that Messenger is available in soft back in the spring (April?), so you could save a few bob.  Steven

Thanks for the suggestions.

In effect the Great War passion is a desctructive one for my poor wallet :lol: