Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Clasp awarded

Rory S

Hi all,

Now that I understand that my grandfather was awarded a clasp, does this mean there's more chance of surviving records at Kew?

post-8907-1132063093.jpg

Rod Smith

Unfortunately No!

There is however a better than average survival rate of service papers amongst those who where discharged & consequently awarded the SWB.as their papers were used for Pension Claims Etc.

"Just" being awarded the 1914 Star clasp would not nessecarily indicate survival of Service Papers.

As his Card indicates Dof W [Died of wounds] most probably his papers were destroyed anyway as a matter of course,in "Weeding".

Thanks for your reply, Harry

I've been to Kew & trowelled though the surviving records, but couldn't find him, although by the end I was getting 'eye sore', and might have missed him.

The other thing, this was before the medals cards were available online, so I was looking for him as part of the 1st Bn (all availble records gave him as such), but he's on the medals card as 2 Bn, which fits in much better history wise.

His brother, Charles, was (according to my late father) an RSM with Nothumberland Fusiliers, and survived to marry Samuel's widow in 1918.

A possible medals card gives a Serjeant Charles Smith with the reference SWB, but I can't figure what it means.

Rod

post-8907-1132090787.jpg

A possible medals card gives a Serjeant Charles Smith with the reference SWB, but I can't figure what it means.

post-8907-1132090787.jpg

SWB List D/900/1 :: This is the SWB Roll & Page that the card refers to,if you can obtain that it may well help confirm or deny if he is your Man,as quite a bit of extra information is usually on them.[age,dates of enlistment & discharge,reason for discharge,overseas service,etc]These are unfortunately not on line currently