Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

True World War 1 Stories

Robert Dunlop

This question was posed by Neutrino in another thread:

'I've just read a book with a poor title but it contains 60 personal and gripping accounts of WW1.

Called 'True World War 1 Stories'.

I wondered what anyone thought about it'

Robert

I have read it. This book offers a nice overview from an eyewitness perspective. I enjoyed the range that was covered, including different phases, battles, functions and countries of the war. The highlight for me was the account from the wireless operator during the Battle of Arras, 1917. Well worth reading if you want a quick overview of the war and what it was like for participants. As with all anecdotal (and other forms of) accounts, the contents should not be treated as the only perspective.

Robert

I thought they were some interesting personal accounts, especially the one where the two men were manning a forward position and when they were eventually relieved one had suffered some sort of breakdown. The two accounts of the bombing of an allied hospital unit by a British plane was particularly tragic. A good general introduction, but many stories lacked the precise information needed for research.

Still a good read for an introduction to the "flavour" of the period and an idea of what what happened from many different perspectives.