Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

clasp on 1914 star

karlowe1959

Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum and this is my first posting. I am researching a relative Thomas George Oliver Humphreys, regiment no, 6, of the 1st manchester Regiment. He had been with the regiment for 11 years prior to his death at the battle of Neuve Chapelle in March 1914. He has no known grave and is on Le Touret Memorial

I have his medals and have obtained his card from the N.A. The card states qualifying date 27.8.14 would this date be when he landed in a theatre of war or is

this date specific to a particular battle...can anyone enlighten me. I presume as he was already serving when the war broke out he would be part of the BEF , am I right here?

His medal card also states Clasp/2/2649, I have no clasp with his medals..does anyone have a picture of one of these clasps? My research tells me that the clasp was awarded to those who came under fire during the period 4 Aug to 22 Nov 1914 , again are these dates in relation to specific battles? It also states that the recipients of this clasp were called the old Contempibles, can anyone confirm this?

It is my intention to visit The Manchesters Museum but on reading postings on this forum it seems a lot of people are interested in the Manchester Regiment. Does anyone have photos of the 1st Manchesters around this time or prior to the war or any further information they may be will to share which would help me.

Thank you for your time and patience in reading this. Any help greatly appreciated. Regards karlowe :)

Karlowe:

Here's a picture from my grandfathers medal.

gordon

post-2297-1132012745.jpg

The Clasp was worn directly on the Ribbon of the Medal,when that was worn,"gord" I notice your Grandad had sewn the rose[which should have been worn on the ribbon bar{worn in uniform in "undress Uniform,ie working uniform not "Dress Uniform when Medals proper would be worn}]in the position the "Bar" or "Clasp" would be worn

below is a pic of Clasp{or bar} & an issue certificate for the same to a Casualty{something I had not seen before,amazing what you can find on the www!}

Harry:

Thanks for the info-you've educated me on something I didn't know.

thanks

gordon

The Clasp was worn directly on the Ribbon of the Medal,when that was worn,"gord" I notice your Grandad had sewn the rose[which should have been worn on the ribbon bar{worn in uniform in "undress Uniform,ie working uniform not "Dress Uniform when Medals proper would be worn}]in the position the "Bar" or "Clasp" would be worn

below is a pic of Clasp{or bar} & an issue certificate for the same to a Casualty{something I had not seen before,amazing what you can find on the www!}

Thank you all so much for infos and photos.......karlowe