Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hill 62 Trenches

Chris Backhouse

I have just been to Ypres for the Armistice Day service and the Last Post. Between the two we went to have a look at the trenches preserved at the Sanctuary Wood Musium beside Hill 62. Are these trenches genuine? If they are they don't look like the front line. My trench map of the area seems to indicate that Hill 62 was occupied by the Torr Top trenches. Is this correct. What were the preserved trenches called? Could it be they were used by Edmond Blunden in his time there? I'm sure these questions must have been asked on the forum before but I couldn't find the answer. Any ideas?

Chris.

Chris

I don’t know the name of the trenches in the museum but they are in the last part of the SW corner of the wood which has shrunk and is now isolated amongst fields.

The British front line was over the road in the main part of Sanctuary Wood. The area was therefore immediately behind the front line, with a reserve line and communication trenches running through it which seem to correspond to those in the wood. As you enter the trench museum the trench running off the right was probably the communication trench and one branching off at right angles from it across the wood a fire trench which ran to Tor Top.

Regards

Simon

Thanks Simon,

That seems to make sense. It's just a bit hard to visualise it now with all the trees back in place, not to mention the tourist coaches!

Rgds,

Chris.

from Undertones of War I dont think Edmund Blunden and the Royal sussex were in those trenches but could be wrong. SG

The 11th, 12th and 13th Royal Sussex (Blunden was in the 11th) did pass through this area in September 1917, but they didn't occupy these trenches when they were part of the support line.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that they are alleged to be part of the Jam Row /Vince Street complex.

There is a trench signboard fro Vince Street in the Hill 60 museum as well.

Alan

I thought this had been discussed before; the thread (if you want the pictures with it) is on the archive here.

An interesting discussion on the authenticity of these trenches, suggestions they were based on British trenches (although Jam Row was actually the name given to a German trench at a different location - see the trenchmap excerpts attached).

Alan