Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Aircraft Identification?

Jerrymurland

The next time I have a chance at Kew I will see what I can find. Medal cards aren't my usual interest there so I need the practice!

As to where the wrecked plane photo was taken, my best guess at the moment is that it is not Salonika or Thasos or anywhere in the Aegean, because I am unaware (but stand to be corrected) of any training schools there. The dress fits Italy or Egypt equally well. Maybe one of the Pals can tell us what/where IGS FS was. Kew or Hendon should be able to help if not.

Nice pictures.

Bruce

Jerry,

Check this website:

http://www.kw.igs.net/~brianj/egyptp1.htm

It has pics from the RFC Flying School, Ismailia, Egypt. There is a MF Shorthorn depicted - looks as if it could be your one (or similar type) but of course before a crash!

IGS = Imperial General Staff? (Admit it does not seem likley to have the connection with RFC flying shcool!)

Ian

To me, it looks like the serial number on the crashed aeroplane starts with A40, which suggests that it might be a Maurice Farman S.11 Shorthorn built by the Aircraft Manufacturing Company at Hendon in batch A4061-A4160.

The rest of the aircraft in the A4000-A4100 range looked nothing like Farmans.

Can anyone make out more of the serial?

Cheers

Gareth

• 2 weeks later...
Querying the crash wreck.

Wonder if it is not a Farman, rather than a Voison? See comparison images. Voison wheels much further apart, and single rudder, whereas the Farman has the narrower wheel configuation and twin tails. By no means certain, but post here for further interest.

NB. The Voison is the lower image.

Ian

It is more likely to be a Maurice Farman but not the Shorthorn depicted in the drawing but a Longhorn. The twin rudder shapes, and markings [1], are typical of this type although the curved edge should be pointing in the opposite direction to the wings - so it is a proper wreck.

[1] See aircraft depicted in, 'British Naval Aircraft Since 1912' by Owen Thetford, 1962, page 376.

Having difficulty with this one as well, I thought it might be a Bristol Scout? Taken in 1918 I think judging by the cap badge.

That figure in the front, could it not be female and about to go for a joy-ride, or 'jolley' as we used to call it?