Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Australian plaque/44Bn AIF query

PhilB

The attached photo shows the name on the plaque of 2239, Pte T Robertson, 44 Bn AIF, died 2/8/17, F&F. I would like guidance on 2 points:-

1/ The name is engraved. A previous thread suggested that some NZ plaques were officially engraved. I have assumed that this plaque has been ground off and engraved, but is it possible that it is officially engraved? Or stamped?

2/ I would appreciate any info on the doings of 44 Bn on 2/8/17. The man is buried on Messines Ridge. Thanks, Phil B

post-2329-1131966579.jpg

Hi, looking at your pic most certainly looks like its a "renamed". I dont think theres too much doubt that its been ground out , the finish is wrong and the patina of the bronze is different. To the best of my knoledge all official plaques were of the pressed type, the only ones and I admit ive only seen a couple have been clearly ground out . I would also be very interested to know if any "official engraved" were ever made. Im sure all the plaque experts on the forum will have the information. Cheers Gareth

Thanks folks. I can`t see a mention of 44 Bn for that date in the history, Kim. Do we assume they were in support and doing some fetching and carrying? Phil B

OK, so far.

From the Emarkation Roll.

Private Talbert Robertson, 2239, 31 yrs, Timber Worker Bunbury WA

NOK Mrs Flora Paterson, Dundee, Scotland.

This roll has him in the 51st Battalion.

The Nominal Roll has him in the 44th Battalion.

The NA Record site doesn't recognize this name, no listing. So, more investigating.

Cheers

Kim

Phil,

From the Roll of Honour,

Robertson, Talbert

Number: 2239

Unit: 44th Bn Australian Inf

Service: Army

Conflict: 1914-1918

Date of Death: 02/08/1917

Place of Death:

Cause of Death: Killed in action

Memorial Panel: 138

Cemetery or Memorial Details: BELGIUM 168 Messines Ridge British Cemetery

Next Of Kin:

Place Of Enlistment: Perth, WA

Native Place: Dundee Scotland

Notes: ROBERTSON, Pte. Talbert, 2239. 44th Bn. Australian Inf. Killed in action 2nd Aug., 1917. Age 33. Son of John and Elizabeth Miller Robertson. Native of Dundee, Scotland. V. A. 4.

Source: AWM145 Roll of Honour cards, 1914-1918 War, Army

also interesting for family connections is page two of this site.

http://www.awm.gov.au/cms_images/awm131/042/042560.pdf

His records are available on the Australian NA site. Interesting in that they show the trouble the army went to finding the relatives.

No news Re: place of death only KIA in the field, Belgium

Hopefully Andrew P may have more.

Cheers

Kim

I'm pretty sure the 44th Battalion were still in the Messines sector during August but will check their battalion history when I get home tonight.

Regards

Andrew

Not directly of help concerning 44th Bn during August 1917 but in case it is of use...

I had two great uncles attached to this battalion and possess their complete military records, some letters and some other general information concerning Messines Ridge. Some operational details can be extrapolated from the record entries, although both left the area in early June 17 as one was killed and the other severly wounded. So I don't have the level of detail after that point.

bc

From the 44th Battalion History 'The Westralian Battalion' by Neville Browning

On August 2nd, intermittent artillery shelling occurred throughout the day. The enemy bombardment continued it's steady toll of 44th men and four were killed during the day. They were Cpl JA Faragher and Privates W Baker, J Birnie and T Robertson. British artillery fired on Warneton and the enemy communication lines.'

It sounds like the 44th were opposite Warneton.

Regards

Andrew

1/ The name is engraved. A previous thread suggested that some NZ plaques were officially engraved. I have assumed that this plaque has been ground off and engraved, but is it possible that it is officially engraved? Or stamped?

Phil,

Taken from the AWM website:

Each plaque had the name of the soldier commemorated individually embossed (some were engraved) as part of the design. The full name was given without any indication of rank or honours to show the equality of sacrifice of all those who had lost their lives.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Frev.