Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Menin Gate Ceremony 11/11

kerry

Dear All,

with thanks to friends on the Forum who took photos, I was lucky in getting a place underneath the arches to lay a wreath on behalf of Yorkshire (North and West) Army Cadets to the Missing of the Green Howards, WYR, DWR and KOYLI. It was my first time at this ceremony and it was heartening to see not just the Fire Brigades and Police but also Army and Air Cadets i.e. the next generation. Hopefully their involvement will ensure the act of remembrence is not forgotton.

Well done to Dierde for not falling off the roof when helping cascade down the poppies onto the Ceremony. and well done also to Jacky who breathlessly told me in between moves, that many little things were going wrong. Not from where I was stood Jacky - it all seemed to go like clockwork.

Will post up some photos if someone could tell me how it is done.

Also visited the Caesar's Nose excavation - I caused a thundering silence when I poked my face into the portakabin on the Thursday and asked them if they were 'The Diggers' - you could have cut the air with a knife!!

The Daily Telegraph man was there on the Friday p.m. and his pice was in the Saturday edition. Shame it has to be covered up again. I wonder how many chaps are in that bit of field whose names are on the Menin Gate?

Kerry