Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Location help Le Sars, Butte de Warlencourt

CarylW

Hi

I'm trying to find the exact location of the action mentioned below (Le Sars, Butte de Warlencourt and Eaucourt

L'Abbaye and the crossing of the Ancre) for which my great uncle Sgt T P CARNEY 2nd East Yorks was awarded the MC

Also are there any books that mention this in particular?

Sgt T P CARNEY Military Cross 1 Jan. 1919 (New Year Honour) as CSM 1st Bn. East Yorks Regt.

However, note: "Birthday Honour, but in fact for gallantry in holding a

bridgehead following an attack on Le Sars, Butte de Warlencourt and Eaucourt

L'Abbaye and the crossing of the Ancre. The bridgehead was held for 15 hours

before being relieved." (from 'The Snapper' 1925)

Also I'm puzzled about the 1st bn mention when he was in the 2nd East Yorks

I've actually been to the Somme but did not have this info when I went to the region

Many thanks

Caryl

Le Sars is on the main Albert Bapaume road and occupies a ridge of high ground, crossing the valley about 1km away is the Butte de Warlencourt and this marks the high tide of the 16 Somme battles in this area. Your relatives MC award is either to the battles of 1918, march and september, Eaucourt labbaye is a large farm to the left of Le Sars going towards Guedecourt. my great uncle's mc was gazetted in jan 1919 for his role in the same area when he organized straggling units coming down the road from Bapaume in march 18 into a coherant combat group in order to help stem the german tide near Guedecourt.

Hello,

The Butte de Warlencourt was, I think, a prehistoric monument, WW1 pictures show it as bare chalk, presumably the result of shell fire. It is now covered with trees and has been acquired by the Western Front Association.

Old Tom