Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Harold Wagstaff. England Rugby Captain.

Tony Lund

Do any rugby fans have any information on Harold Wagstaff’s army time? I am just looking for some basic bits and pieces, regiment, battalion, maybe enlistment date. I am assuming he was called up and that play with Fartown continued until then, but it is not something I have been looking out for in the newspapers until now.

Holmfirth born Harold Wagstaff was a 15 years old player from Underbank Rangers when he signed for Fartown in 1906 and he went on to captain England in their tour of Australia in 1914.

Harold Wagstaff.

I have five mic to choose from. It is possible he enlisted in June 1916, but there is no real proof of that yet.

Wagstaff mic's

Thanks,

Tony.

I may have been looking in the wrong place with the mic. Supposing he never left England, or more correctly the United Kingdom, wouldn’t that mean no medals? Also he might have been commissioned, I have no information on his background other than a skilled rugby player and captain of England in 1914.

Tony.

• 3 weeks later...

In early September 1916, Harold Wagstaff, Captain of the England and the Huddersfield Rugby teams, was in great demand by short handed rugby clubs. Writing to the Secretary of the Hull Rugby Club he said, “I will be pleased to assist you in the match versus Batley on Saturday. I am called to the colours in about a fortnights time, so it may be the last match I shall play as a civilian.”

So he joined the army in September 1916, but that is all that is known so far.

Tony.

The Times 1-1-1917

post-6536-1133886168.png

ASC and in the UK?

Steve.

End of 1916-1917 Season, The Times 16-4-1917 :

post-6536-1133886300.png

Steve.

Hmmmm....???

Medal card of Wagstaff, Harold

Corps Regiment No Rank

Army Service Corps M2/221946 Acting Corporal

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...1&resultcount=1

Steve.

(Which of course you've posted already)

Edited by Stebie9173

Thank you, I think that must be him. It certainly sounds like a team with the England captain in it, and in that case that mic would fit.

Thanks again.

Tony.