Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Visiting the Somme

Keith Kendall

A friend of mine will be staying overnight in Amiens in few weeks time. Knowing of my interest he asked me where/what in the area I suggest he visit between leaving his hotel at 09.30 and getting to Calais for a ferry at 18.00.

Having only had the chance to visit the area myself once so far I suggested Thiepval but hoped for some expert advice on where given the time constraints anyone would sugggest as a MUST see

Thanks

Keith :rolleyes:

Keith,

Yes, Thiepval is certainly recommended, but you also have the Ulster Tower just a stones throw away and also the excellent Newfoundland Memorial Park just up the road.

I would suggest that you would be able to get all 3 in if you're quick, but if you're going to be constrained through time then just go for Thiepval and Newfoundland.

The problem is there is so much to see and you have so little time!

Steve

Keith,

Steve

Thanks for that. :)

As I said to him when he asked "I could spend a full week there and still not see everything I want to"

Keith

I always think that I could spend a life time over there! That's why I have to keep going back.

Steve

I cannot explain why, as there are no great sights neaby and I have no relatives buried there (as far as I know), but I am always attracted to the Bulls Road Cemetery.

Most of the graves are fromSeptember 1916, with some 1918.

It is very peaceful and quiet there.

Mind you, I would not suggest you go there as your one place to visit.

An interesting place may be Auchonvillers which is nicknamed Ocean Villas and now a tea-room/restaraunt,I believe. Formerly a private home used as a casualty clearing station near the head of the line run by a britisih lady restoring some of the trench line (and cellar used to operate on wounded) it had a fascination for me when we visited last year. With all the walking it is a good place to rest up while.

As you will have wheels, one thing which really does not take long is to drive the width of the battlefield on the Albert-Bapaume road, to appreciate just what a short distance it is.

But do take care on the Albert to Bapaume road, through the various villages on the way.

The local Gendarmerie often set speed traps on this very straight road, and I understand that they take great delight in nicking the odd Brit, so even if you are in a hurry, stick to the speed limits and you can simply wave to them as you saunter past at 50 kph..!!

Have a nice trip..!!

Rob.

Keith,

Yes, Thiepval is certainly recommended, but you also have the Ulster Tower just a stones throw away and also the excellent Newfoundland Memorial Park just up the road.

I would suggest that you would be able to get all 3 in if you're quick, but if you're going to be constrained through time then just go for Thiepval and Newfoundland.

Steve

Hello Exactly what I recommand for a first approach. It is not necessary to spent a long time in each place. You can have a first feeling by this choice.

have a nice travel there.

If he can squeeze in the time Devonshire Cemetery as an example of an extremely evocative battlefield cemetery.

Thanks Simon.

I know my way around the Ypres area quite well but have not been able to spend the amount of time I would like in the Somme area. Could you give me an idea where abouts the Devonshire Cemetery is.

Thanks

Keith

I cannot explain why, as there are no great sights neaby and I have no relatives buried there (as far as I know), but I am always attracted to the Bulls Road Cemetery.

Most of the graves are fromSeptember 1916, with some 1918.

It is very peaceful and quiet there.

Mind you, I would not suggest you go there as your one place to visit.

Hi Angie

Thanks for the input. I'm not as familiar with the Somme area as I am with Ypres. Could you give me a idea of the where abouts of this Cemetery

Thanks

Keith

An interesting place may be Auchonvillers which is nicknamed Ocean Villas and now a tea-room/restaraunt,I believe. Formerly a private home used as a casualty clearing station near the head of the line run by a britisih lady restoring some of the trench line (and cellar used to operate on wounded) it had a fascination for me when we visited last year. With all the walking it is a good place to rest up  while.

Thanks for the input.

Can you give me a clue where he will find this place.

Thanks

Keith

But do take care on the Albert to Bapaume road, through the various villages on the way.

The local Gendarmerie often set speed traps on this very straight road, and I understand that they take great delight in nicking the odd Brit, so even if you are in a hurry, stick to the speed limits and you can simply wave to them as you saunter past at 50 kph..!!

Have a nice trip..!!

Rob.

Thanks for the heads up Rob

He will be with a small group on motor cycles so I will pass on the warning.

Thanks

Keith

A big thanks to everyone for the ideas. Only one problem though.

I wish it were me going and not my friend!

Thanks again

Keith