Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Service battalions

JPJarman

I am at a loss to know exactly what a Service battalion was/is?

John

A Service Battalion was one raised for service in the war only, that is, not a Regular Army or Territorial battalion. For example, the Leeds Pals were the 15th (Service) Battalion, West Yorkshire Regiment. The phrase is most often associated with the new battalions created to take in the "New Army" Kitchener volunteers.

Tom

Tom,

Thank you for that. I couldn't understand it at first but now it makes sense.

All the best

John

Guest Ian Bowbrick

John,

Just to expand a bit, Service Battalions were formed from Kitchener's Men who enlisted for 3 years or the duration of the war.

The infantry divisions of the First New Army K1, were the 19th to 14th, the Second New Army, K2, the 15th to 20th, & the Third New Army, K3, the 21st to the 26th. The Fourth New Army was disbanded for reinforcements, and the Fifth New Army became the Fourth New Army in April 1915.

After November 1918, the men of the New Armies were not discharged on demobilisation but transferred to the Z Reserve.

Ian

:)

Sorry to hijack the thread a bit but something Ian has said puzzles me

Service Battalions were formed from Kitchener's Men who enlisted for 3 years or the duration of the war.
- Ian I am therefore correct in assuming that if an individual signed on for 3 years say in August 1914 he would be able to leave the army in August 1917 with the war still being fought. Also if this is the case surely that man would be liable for conscription immediately he left the army. - Only ask these questions as I thought all Kitchener Men signed on for the duration.

Will

The original Army Order Aug 1914 is at odds with the Recruitment posters, in that the AO promises early release if the war is over inside three years .... the posters do not spell this out. As it happened ........

Just to expand a bit, Service Battalions were formed from Kitchener's Men who enlisted for 3 years or the duration of the war.

I thought it was four years or duration of the war (whichever was longer)?

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Paul,

I was quoting from the 'Information pack' circulated by the MGC Old Comrades Association ;) which is also repeated in 3 WO 363 records I have to hand.

Ian

Ian, this is certainly worth running to ground, I will dig out and name my precise sources. Just possibly the terms were revised [upwards] as war went on .... dates therefore of sources vital [sorry, one doesn't teach a Colonel to suck eggs .......]

Guest Ian Bowbrick

11-5 Pte H R Hilton 11th Bn East Yorkshire Regt - PRO Ref WO 363 H 1787

32478 Pte H Kenworthy 2nd Y & L Regt - PRO ref WO 363 K550

49733 Pte J Stanley Manchester Regt - PRO ref WO 363 S 263

Any other questions mail me off forum or better still I am always happy to meet 'Pals' face to face for a chat. :)

Ian

TF pre-war engagements were for four years. The period for re-engagement was as directed by the County Association concerned.

Terry Reeves

That was maybe what I was thinking of, as most infantry TF men (?all) signed on for periods of four years... I also thought there was a book or a novel called 'Four years or duration'... but I am away from my books etc at the moment.

Guest Ian Bowbrick
Ian, this is certainly worth running to ground, I will dig out and name my precise sources. Just possibly the terms were revised [upwards] as war went on .... dates therefore of sources vital [sorry, one doesn't teach a Colonel to suck eggs .......]

What are your sources?

Sorry, forgot to post. AO 296 of 6 Aug 1914 ........... in addition to enlistments under existing conditions ..............will be for a priod of 3 years with the colours, or if the war lasts longer, for the duration of the war. If however the war lasts for less than 3 years, men so enlisting will be discharged with all convenient speed. My notes suggest the 'less than' bit was rescinded next day!

I also have print of recruiting poster offering same terms except omit the 'less than', poster not dated.

Hope this helps, and without huffing and puffing ........