Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sussex Yeomanry/16th Batt. Royal Sussex

Jerrymurland

Jerry

Could you look up what they were up to on the 6th of November 1917. I have a man I'm researching died in Egypt, sound right? He has a TF number, were they a TF unit, sound like a service battalion

Thanks in advance

Hambo

November 6th 1917 the unit was engaged in the Battle of Sheria, heavy casualties: Out of the 400 involved in the action 6 officers killed or wounded, 31 ORs killed, 88 wounded.

Unit history:.......'they (the battalion) had outshot, out manoeuvred and out fought a stubborn and courageous enemy........

I can scan the relevant pages for you if you wish. Let me know. Can also look up your man'. The Sussex Yeomanry were a Territorial Force (if thats what TF means!)

Jerry

I would love the scanned pages, I'll PM you with my e mail.

My man is Pvt Ernest Harding TF/315387 if he's in there

Many Thanks Hambo

Hambo, there is a private R.H. Harding listed who served in Gallipoli, Palestine and Flanders. Your man was KiA/died in Egypt/Palestine but don't concern yourself, I have found the account to be a little inaccurate in places. My grandad Douglas Alan Watts is also reported as having served in Flanders, when in actual fact he did not! He is listed only as Douglas Watts. no regimental or service numbers are listed. I suspect some of the initials of serving men had been transcribed incorrectly as well. Will scan the pages but you may have to wait a few days.

Jerry

No, I'll PM you again to make sure I gave you the right e mail address. Something treid to come through a couple of days ago but failed

Thanks for trying Hambo

Jerry

That was what they call "above and beyond" mant many thanks for you many attempts to get it to me

Thanks Hambo

No probs mate, since I have been a memberof the Forum so many individuals have helped me considerably it's the least I could do to repay their kindness.

Jerry

• 5 years later...

Hi Jerry,

Am looking at a Pte 315146 James Walter Mills MM

He sadly died of flu in 17.10.18 at Rouen but I noticed in another reply that the MM awards were listed next to their entries, any chance of looking that up so I can look up the date in 16th war diary?

Grateful for any info received

REgards

Nick

• 1 month later...

I have this book and am happy to look up any references.

Hello Jerry,

I'm looking for information about the 16th Sussex Rgt on 8/9/10 and 11 November. Would be grateful if you could share this.

Kind regards from Flanders,

Jef

• 2 months later...

Hi Jerry,

I have a chap named Pte James Walter Mills MM, died of flu in 1918, enlisted Littlehampton Sussex, any mention of how he won his MM?

REgards

Nick

• 9 years later...
On 10/06/2011 at 10:36, nick ward408 said:
On 11/11/2005 at 09:04, Jerrymurland said:

Hi Jerry,

I have a chap named Pte James Walter Mills MM, died of flu in 1918, enlisted Littlehampton Sussex, any mention of how he won his MM?

REgards

Nick

Hope it’s ok to seek a follow up, Mills MM is now is in my custody, welcome any information, many thanks, Paul

Edited by leibregiment