Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HELP WITH MIC

Guest drcook

Hi, I need some help in translating the MIC below - it is from my grandfather who served in the Royal Garrison Artillery 50365. Also, how would I be able to trace the movements of the division during the war? I would appreciate any help on this - thank you.

ejgillard5yp.gif

Great - thanks for that. Could you enlightmen me as to the meaning of the roll column text?

does it mean 121st battery? Can't really make out what the third one says "1BJ6" ?

Thanks for your help...

No the Roll text has nothing to do with the unit. It is a Reference to the Medal Rolls which are still held by the National Archives.

The references can be converted into a WO reference to order the big books at the NA. They then MAY tell you what unit he was in. Unfortunately the Rolls for the Artillery (& other "Corps" units) are not very forthcoming on units. There is probably more of a chance with the 1915 Star Rolls.

It may be possible to match the date of embarkation to an RGA unit heading to France, or a least narrow down the options, but this is starting to get into some heavy research as you would probably need to do a process of elimination based on other facts.

Steve.

I also have a family member that served with the RGA, and also got the SWB. If your lucky the medal rolls, especially the SWB roll might give you a battery name and number which will help a bit, but I have found myself that its very hard tracing a battery unless they have a diary. You will probably find more from the diaries of the Heavy Artillery Groups/Brigades they were part of.

Gary