Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Question about HMS Ajax

GREAKLY

Folks,

I am fairly new to British medal collecting so please bear with me. I wonder, does anybody know about HMS Ajax's detailed (ideally, on a day-by-day basis, but weekly or at least monthly info would be OK) involvement into Russian Civil War in 1920? Or can anybody recommend where such information could be obtained other than Ship's Log copy in the National Archive.

I am collecting British medals related to the Allied Intervention in Russia during 1918-1921. Recently I have been offered a British medal group of a sailor from HMS Ajax who served on her during January and February 1920 (than he was transfered to HMS Vivid which in fact was a Navy barrack in Devonshire). On the other hand, I know that HMS Ajax sailed to Russian shores (and visited a number of towns along the coast of Black Sea) in early 1920. She stayed in the Black Sea pretty much the entire year of 1920. However, I was unable to find when exactly she arrived to the area and when she departed. In my case, to know that is crucial. If the guy was on board during any part of the voyage (even if that was only one day) - I want the group. Otherwise (meaning, the guy transferred before she departed), I am not interested.

I would greatly appreciate any advice. Also, as a more generic question, is there an order of battle/war chronology book for the years of 1918-1920? I have a few for 1914-1918 but nothing after that. Is there an order of battle/war chronology book for the RN (especially for 1918-1920)?I found some information here and there about history of various ships, but the time frame is usually years. And I need at least months (better, weeks or days)...

Thanks in advance.

Gregory

• 2 months later...

Hi if you search for Catspaw on this site you will find several topics related to the North Russia action. I dont know if youve seen the following link but its got a good overview. I do think though that the action is regarded as over by autumn/winter 1919. But I am in work and dont have any details with me.

http://www.naval-history.net/WW1z05NorthRussia.htm

There Im sure were vessels in the area in 1920 but not so sure if thay were in action. My limited interest was concerning Catspaw which sank off Sweden in December 1919. Ill have aloook tonight for any further information.Gareth

is this the same Ajax which along with Achillies and Exeter defeated the pocket battleship Graf Spee in 1939 near Montivideo?

No. Different ship.

The battleship Ajax was commissioned in 1913 and sold in 1926 to comply with the terms of the Washington Naval Treaty.

The light cruiser Ajax was laid down in 1933 and completed two years later.

Best wishes,

Michael