Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Agony of Gallipoli

Antonio83

Hello my fellow WW1 buffs,

I need hints or opinion about a book I may buy : "The Agony of Gallipoli" by John Laffin.

I presently search a detailed analysis of Gallipoli, but it's very difficult to find precise works on this subject.

Can you help me?

Thanks,

Antonio

The best book to my mind is Gallipoli 1915 by Tim Travers although I havent read Laffin's book.

Jonathan,

thanks for your politeness;-)

I already know the Traver's book and you're right: it's a complete and well-written work.

But in my opinion, Traver apart, there is many books on Gallipoli, but very few really good; for example, I've also read the Moorehead and Hickey's works but I disliked these: muddled and banal explainations.

I havent read it myself but I believe Robert Rhodes James 1965 book GALLIPOLI is still highly regarded. Also an easy read is Carlyon's 2000 book of the same name.

I havent read it myself but I believe Robert Rhodes James 1965 book GALLIPOLI is still highly regarded.  Also an easy read is Carlyon's 2000 book of the same name.

There are two books in the ' uncovered editions' series which relate to Gallipoli. I am half way through the first one and it is very good. Book 1 is " Lord Kitchener & Churchill : The Dardanelles. 1914-1915". Book 2 covers the defeat and withdrawal. They are published by the Stationery Office. They consist of the official findings of the inquiry into the Gallipoli campaign. No descriptions of the action here, but a factual account of how it came about and who was responsible for what. Another title for the two books might have been " Watch them squirm". A masterclass in how to blame the other guy without actually telling porkies.

antonio,i found john laffins book very good,got my copy off tom morgan,he practically gave it away,i personally thought it worth the full asking price,SIGNED bernard,tom morgan books northern PR officer :lol:

There are two books in the ' uncovered editions' series which relate to Gallipoli. I am half way through the first one and it is very good. Book 1 is " Lord Kitchener & Churchill : The Dardanelles. 1914-1915". Book 2 covers the defeat and withdrawal. They are published by the Stationery Office. They consist of the official findings of the inquiry into the Gallipoli campaign. No descriptions of the action here, but a factual account of how it came about and who was responsible for what. Another title for the two books might have been " Watch them squirm". A masterclass in how to blame the other guy without actually telling porkies.

I am also reading them very carefully, and yes, "watch them squirm" would do quite well. I am not too sure it is entirely porkie-free: looking at the episode about the hospital ship makes me cringe.

As glad as I am for the publication of these collections by Uncovered Editions, it is infuriating that there is no index. I am compiling my own index of these two titles (something I need for myself) and will of course post them if anyone is interested.

Bruce

I agree with Jonathan that Travers book is the best I've read. Laffin wrote such garbage in Butchers and Bunglers that I trust nothing he says. I have not however read the Carylon book which by all accounts is quite good.

I agree with Jonathan that Travers book is the best I've read. Laffin wrote such garbage in Butchers and Bunglers that I trust nothing he says. I have not however read the Carylon book which by all accounts is quite good.

Agreed. The only helpful book I have read by Laffin is the Western Front Companion.

aye

Malcolm

I have always been rather guarded when it comes to Laffin's writing. Butchers and Bunglers was such utter tripe that I have always steered clear of him since. He tends to be very emotive, seems to lack the objective viewpoint and his interpretation can, in my opinion, be a little suspect.