Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Photo Identification

mordac

Can anyone provide me with any information on the attached picture? It's from the cover of Paul Fussell's book 'The Great War And Modern Memory' (North American edition). There's no photo credit or information provided in the book. Thanks.

As a footnote, I'm rereading this book after the passage of a couple of years to see if my original opinion of the book has changed.

Garth

post-8-1060706974.jpg

Hi Garth

I can't tell you anything about the Photo but I knew that I had it in one of my books, after looking through ten or so I found it but its capshion only states the obvious but its a IWM picture.

Annette

This could possibly be the same man. The photo is from The Missing of the Somme by Geoff Dyer and is credited to the National War Museum.

My edition credits the Fussell cover photograph to the Imperial War Museum, so they should be able to help.

Hi All:

Thanks for your replies. I'd sure like to know who this young man was. This is one of the most haunting Great War photos I've seen.

Clive, can you please tell me were the photo credit in you copy of the book is located. Can you write or e-mail the IWM requesting photo identifications? Do you need a photo reference number or some other form of identification? Thanks.

Garth

Garth,

The Imperial War Museum has an archive of more than 6 million images, so I thought identification was going to be tricky. Then serendipity struck. The image is part of a small IWM online WWI album. It turns out to be that of a British soldier captured in 1918. To see the image (ref Q24047), click here and when the page comes up, scroll to the bottom. Armed with the image reference number, you may be able to get more detailed information by contacting the IWM photo archive.

Regards,

Clive

Hi Clive:

You're absolutely fantastic!! Thanks for finding this image for me in the IWM's photo archive. As for serendipity, my wife's a firm believer in it's mystical powers. :lol:

Garth

I admire Paul Fussell's book very much. Tremendous scholarship underpins every page. My only complaint is that there is no bibliography. It's a book that cries out for a bibliography.

What's the soldier wearing on his legs? Are they waders of some sort and was this standard kit? For a better view click here.