Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st battalion monmouthshire reg

chezbutt

Chez,

Welcome to the forum.

A good a place as any to start is the forums 'mother' site The Long Long Trail. Use the link at the top of this page and follow infantry units.

The 1/1st Monmouths were the pioneer Battalion for the 46th (North Midland) division for the most part of the war. They did stirling work throughout, particularly at the attack upon the Hohenzollern Redoubt, during the last phase of the battle of Loos 13.10.1915. they were mentioned favourabley by all the battalions in the Division, whose histories I have read.

I'm not sure where else the Battalion War Diary may be held apart from the National Archives at Kew, London.

On a recent visit to the NA i came across a register of Courts Martial for 1915. By far the most entries for the 46th divisional troops came from the Monmouths, virtually all for drink related offences! Not in any way meant by me to cause offence, just the opposite, top lads in my opinion ;)

Regards,

Steve.

The Pioneer battalions, being one to a Division, were always in demand and very rarely seemed to get out of the forward areas as the Brigades/Battalions rotated duty.

In the case of the 5th Northamptonshire's (12th Div.) they were also kept at nearly full strength all the way through the war which was unheard of in a normal Infantry Battalion.

Steve.

Chez,

Welcome to the forum.

A good a place as any to start is the forums 'mother' site The Long Long Trail. Use the link at the top of this page and follow infantry units.

The 1/1st Monmouths were the pioneer Battalion for the 46th (North Midland) division for the most part of the war. They did stirling work throughout, particularly at the attack upon the Hohenzollern Redoubt, during the last phase of the battle of Loos 13.10.1915. they were mentioned favourabley by all the battalions in the Division, whose histories I have read.

I'm not sure where else the Battalion War Diary may be held apart from the National Archives at Kew, London.

On a recent visit to the NA i came across a register of Courts Martial for 1915. By far the most entries for the 46th divisional troops came from the Monmouths, virtually all for drink related offences! Not in any way meant by me to cause offence, just the opposite, top lads in my opinion ;)

Regards,

Steve.

Hi Chez

Check out John Dixon's book "Magnificent But Not War" it is not specific to the Monmouths but it does cover the action they took part in during the 2nd Ypres.

I also have a variety of information on the movement of the 3rd Batt Monmouth Regt if any of that is of use to you please let me know.

Good luck

Martyn