Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

injury/wounds

GJB

I have found a family member in the burnt records with a document saying he was injured class Z, 3/3/1918. It wasn't clear to make out anything else but what was class Z?

If it wasn't a Z it was a badly written 2 if this helps.

Gary

I also thought it might be a 2 on my Grandfather's records. He was discharged to the Z Reserve on 8th April 1919 from the Number 3 Disposal Unit at Clipstone. The formation of the Class Z Reserve was authorised by an Army Order on 3rd December 1918. There were fears that Germany would not accept the terms of the peace treaty, and the British Government decided it would be wise if they were able to quickly recall trained men in the eventuality of the resumption of hostilities. Soldiers who were being demobilised, particularly those who had agreed to serve for the duration of the war, were at first posted to the Z Reserve. They returned to civilian life, but with an obligation to return to the army if called upon to do so. The Z Reserve was abolished on 31st March 1920 following the issue of an army order saying that: “All soldiers in Class Z of the Army Reserve will be deemed to have been discharged as from the 31st March 1920”.

Most of the above came from the Long long trail.

The dates don't seem to tie in with your Class Z, but it might help.

Tony.

Z Reserve was also used in the 50's - two years National Service followed by 2 years TA service. My mate's dad was one of them, and was called up for Korea (tho' he only got as far as Brecon!). See The Goons "Down among the Z Men"