Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unknown Units

mickgall

Hi all

I've just been looking at the Ashford Railway Works roll of Honour and came across a few units I haven't seen before, they are KFRE, REKMR, HCFA and ROD, any ideas what they could be, I'm guessing that the RE part stands for Royal Engineers.

There are three sets of rolls, the first two are to men who served and survived, the third is to men who were killed, also on the roll for the men who were killed, it states how they were killed. There's the usual KIA and DOW but there's also KOD, Killed on Duty?

Heres a link to the site

http://www.roll-of-honour.com/Kent/AshfordRail.html

Mick

Mick

REKMR = Royal East Kent Mounted Rifles

All The Best

Chris

Mick,

HCFA was Home Counties Field Ambulance.

Graham.

Mick,

KOD could well be Killed or Died.

Graham.

Hi all

many thanks for all the replies. I should have guessed ROD was Railways Operating Dept, but I just couldn't get the old saying out of my head Roll ON the Duration

thanks again guys

Mick

• 2 months later...

When we transcribed the rolls we should have included an explanation of quoted units. Sorry...

The transcription is exact we did not try and improve it in anyway.

KOD - Killed on Duty

KFRE - Kent Fortress Royal Engineers (Territorial Force)

REKMR - Royal East Kent Mounted Rifles (Yeomanry)

HCFA - Home Counties Field Ambulance (1/1 Kent, 1/2nd Kent)

Ashford maintained territorial force (KFRE, RAMC, REKMR, 5th Buffs) companies and troops in the old drill hall at Newtown Road.

Cheers

NEIL

The Ashford Railway Rolls of Honour commemorate Ashford men who worked in the Ashford Railway Works. All these men worked for the Chief Mechanical Engineer's Department.

There used to be a separate war memorial on the platform at Ashford Railway Station. I have seen a newspaper article in the 1920's giving this information (Kentish Express). No one seems to know what happened to it! I have lived in Ashford all my life (42 years) and I can't remember seeing a war memorial on the platforms...

If you log onto www.roll-of-honour.com (Kent pages) you will se a transcription for the Dover Marine Railway War Memorial. This contains the names of ALL identified South Eastern & Chatham Railway men who fell during the Great War - 557 men in all. I presume that those fallen men whose names would have appeared on the lost Ashford Railway Memorial appear here as well. I do know that all the men whose names appear on the Ashford Railway Works Rolls of Honour do appear on the Dover civic tribute.

I am glad that the transcriptions are being used. Thats the value of a site like this.

Best regards to all

Neil

hello folks,i have a mate who has worked on the railways for over 30 years,he said some of his mates had tried to find war memorials from railway stations that went missing,all enquiries seemed to stop at york railway museum,possibly in storage,it may be worth an e.mail to find out if they have any of them and how many,bernard