Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"Stonewall Brigade"

Nick Thornicroft

Brig.-Gen. C.B. Prowse, DSO, in command of the 11th Brigade on July 1st, 1916, apparently uttered the words "keep up the name of the Stonewall Brigade" as he lay dying from the effects of a shell blast. The only reference I can find to a Stonewall Brigade on the Seach Engines is to do with the American Civil War. Is anyone aware of its relevance to the British Army in 1916?

Many thanks.

heres one reference

[Broken link removed]

I qoute:

The Patricias served one year with 80th Brigade (named the "Stonewall Brigade" after its defence of the Ypres Salient in May, 1915). The historic battle of FREZENBERG was fought on the 8th of May, 1915. The enemy attacked behind clouds of poison gas, however the Regiment held the front even thought they were fighting from ditches and shell holes and were under fire from three sides.

The Patricias served one year with 80th Brigade (named the "Stonewall Brigade" after its defence of the Ypres Salient in May, 1915). The historic battle of FREZENBERG was fought on the 8th of May, 1915. The enemy attacked behind clouds of poison gas, however the Regiment held the front even thought they were fighting from ditches and shell holes and were under fire from three sides.

Hello Soren

Can't comment on the "Stonewall" statement other than reference to Stonewall JAckson and the ACW.

However, I would just like to correct a slight inaccuracy that doesn't in any way take anything away from the Princess Pats. They couldn't have been fired on from three sides during the 8th May defence of Bellewaarde Wood because a company (including my GGrandfather - see signature)of the 1st KOYLI and one of the Monmouths were actually holding the line on the left flank of the Pats. When the Canadian front line trench was taken by the Germans the Pats retired to support trenches were they maintained their defence. This fall back exposed the right flank of the KOYLI/Mons and this meant that they had both flanks and the front exposed and were also taking fire from advancing British troops in the rear. I know its picky but as it involved my GGrandfather I thought I should put the record straight.

Andy

This fall back exposed the right flank of the KOYLI/Mons and this meant that they had both flanks and the front exposed

This is the kind of thing that causes inter-regimental hostility for many years after. I was amazed in my time to see two PBIs of different regiments fighting because of an event 200 years before! It`s surprising that more of these didn`t originate in WW1. Or did they? Phil B

Hello Soren

Can't comment on the "Stonewall" statement other than reference to Stonewall JAckson and the ACW.

However, I would just like to correct a slight inaccuracy that doesn't in any way take anything away from the Princess Pats. They couldn't have been fired on from three sides during the 8th May defence of Bellewaarde Wood because a company (including my GGrandfather - see signature)of the 1st KOYLI and one of the Monmouths were actually holding the line on the left flank of the Pats. When the Canadian front line trench was taken by the Germans the Pats retired to support trenches were they maintained their defence. This fall back exposed the right flank of the KOYLI/Mons and this meant that they had both flanks and the front exposed and were also taking fire from advancing British troops in the rear. I know its picky but as it involved my GGrandfather I thought I should put the record straight.

Andy

Hi Andy,

It's just what I found on a web search, I was not very sure whether it would be of any use.

The Stonewall Brigade - T.B.C. KRR’s

(This is a poem on the fighting that we did at Ypres).

quoted by George Harness, Fiji Contingent, KRRC

This is the place where Germans shake

Where Huns with apprehension quake

Where Bosches dread their place to take

Because the dreadful news they hear,

Which turns their frightfulness to fear,

The 80th Brigade is near

The 80th “Stonewall” Brigade.

A title that will never fade,

A glorious name at Ypres made

The Rifles and the smart RB’s

The Huns don’t relish meeting these

The gallant lads that saved Ypres

And those two other famous Batts,

The Shropshires and the Princess Pats,

To whom we all take off our hats.

The bold brigade who fought so good,

and made their name and fame in blood,

and all the German force withstood

Who with a proud and scornful ire,

Ignored the order to retire,

Although exposed to murderous fire.

But in the jaws of death and hell

Fought on so gallantly and well,

‘Mid fire, and gas, and shot, and shell.

Who held their ground, and held it tight,

Who fought for right and not for might,

Who gave the Germans such a fight.

Now I maintain it’s safe to bet

The Prussian Guards will not forget

When the “Stonewall” Brigade they met.

They found the 80th were hot stuff,

They did not like our “Stonewall duff”,

But found one taste was quite enough

Now, mark it up upon the map

The history of that famous scrap

When they went four, and we went “Nap.”

And then , defeated and dismayed,

Another “ Hymn of Hate” they made,

“Gott strafe the Old Stonewall Brigade”.

And when the mightiest of all wars

Shall end in victory for the cause

Of Justice and of Freedom’s laws;

When hushed at last the cannon’s roar

The few return to Britain’s shore,

The remnants of each gallant corps;

And when a thousand tales are told

Of actions fought by heroes bold,

Who died their honour to uphold;

Remember then the 80th,

Who fought the Huns to their last breath

Who scorned retreat, and courted death;

And give a hearty cheer for these,

The Rifles, Shrops, and brave P.P’s

The bold brigade that saved Ypres.

Hi Andy,

It's just what I found on a web search, I was not very sure whether it would be of any use.

Hello Soren

Don't worry about it, good link.

This is the kind of thing that causes inter-regimental hostility for many years after.

Phil

I don't think that there has ever been any animosity shown between the two regiments after the event, there were not enough men from either unit after the action to carry on a feud. Its just galling that there is so much written about the Princess Pats defence at Frezenberg without any real mention of the part played by the KOYLI/Mons. The road that marked the intersection of the KOYLI and PAts line is named after the Canadians and there is a ruddy great memorial to them as well. No mention of the Tykes or Taffs :(

To be absolutely fair to the Pats they thought the their left flank was completely exposed as they had lost touch with the Monmouths and this is what encouraged them to fall back.

Andy

Archived