Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt JNG Gibbons MC, ASC

Chris_Baker

The award of the Military Cross to Lt John NG Gibbons was gazetted on 25 August 1917 but only as a one line entry. I have spent hours on the online London Gazette site trying to find his citation, without success.

Can anyone help with this, or with any other info concerning this officer?

He landed in France on 21 August 1914 with a Motor Transport unit, but spent most of his war is Mesopotamia.

What I generally try to do is try as many names as possible on the same page of the announcement Gazette, the rarer the names the better. Fortunately a lot of officers have fairly unique middle names)

In this case, I can't find any of their citations (tried about 10), though the original page keeps coming up.

So, unless the page of the gazette is so mangled as to be unreadable, then I would think the citation is missing.

Steve.

Chris,

Sorry that you have been banging your head against the wall - it was in vain.

If you work through the 25th Aug 1917 LG entry you come to a heading that these awards are for 'distingusihed service in the field in Mesopotamia dated 3rd June 1917

They are belated King's Birthday Honours awards - no citation for the awards were published.

John Noel Graham Gibbons

Resigned his comission (as captain, SR) and was granted the rank of Lt-Col 25/3/1920

Rejoined the RASC as a 2/Lt 16/11/1939

Died 17th August 1960