Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Attestation Papers

Swally

Hello Guys,

I have found a number of my great uncles fought in the Great War, forgive my ignorance but.........I presume that they would have signed up to fight for King and country. Can I get these papers??

Your help would be greatly appreciated,

Swally

Swally,

It all depends on who they were and who they were serving with.

Around 75% of service papers were destroyed during the Blitz in 1940.

Post their details lets see if we can help!!

Guys,

I think we may be searching for a needle in a haystack here but anyway what I have is-

James Allan, 1/10 Royal Scots b. 24/7/1893 Aberdeen although beleived to be working in Belhaven Breweries near Edinburgh at outbreak of war.

Alexander Allan, he was in Canada and returned to fight I have a picture of him in uniform and it appears to be RAMC, the strange thing is on his passenger listing for him going to Canada in 1907 no mention of him having a bad eye yet when he returned to Canada 1919 it does. Could it be he joined up with one regiment, was injured in the eye and transferred to another? b. 1/3/1887 again Aberdeen

William Allan I just know he was gassed during the war no idea which regiment

b. 15/7/1895 again Aberdeen

Robert Allan, I know that he was with the R.H.A. prior to the war, married in Bo'ness near Edinburgh 1909 and went with the B.E.F. to Mons b. 1/5/1885 again Aberdeen. He too was gassed and also injured by shrapnel

There is one other brother John Smith Allan now I know that he went to Barre, Vermont 7/3/1911 but what is to say he like his brother Alexander didn't return to fight. I hve no trace of him after 1911. There is a John Smith Allan on the CWWG site but he is South African

The rest of the brothers all made it home safe after the war, not a bad acheivement I would have thought

Any help on finding papers of the above is gladly appreciated

Swally

Hello Swally.

Found this lot on CWGC.Allan J S.

Not sure if it is of any help.

Do you have any army numbers at all?.

You have a pre-war RHA man,which i would have thought you maybe able to find.

All the best.

Simon.

Sounds like a trip to the PRO is called for. You might be lucky and find relevant records. Sometimes local record offices hold collections, although it is unlikely any attestation papers will be among these. Unfortunately there is a greater chance of finding the records of officers than there is of soldiers. Having army service numbers would be helpful, these are usually on any medals awarded. Good luck.