Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Getting to grips with the War

archiebain

I would like to learn more about the war, and how it happened, when the first troops went over, the first battle, and what happened during the conflict. There are so many books now I am hoping that the members would be able to give me advice on what books I should start reading. Any thoughts would be most welcome

Yours sincerely

Archie Bain

You need to start with a general history and go from there, The First World War Martin Gilbert is probably as good as any. You could also start with Barbara Tuchman The Guns of August but you will have to read a 1 volume overall history. Next I recommend you read all the Lyn McDonald books to get a feel for the thoughts of the men. You have a lot to look forward to.

Maybe it`s easier to point out to Archie what he shouldn`t be reading ! There`s a great thread on this page entitled " what`s the worst book you`ve ever read " and the general concensus seems to be THE MYTH OF THE GREAT WAR by John Mosier followed by Laffin`s BRITISH BUTCHERS AND BUNGLERS

If you can afford it search out the BBC documentary series THE GREAT WAR from 1964 . All the info you`ll ever need

As a tentative toe poke into the First World War I would suggest you read Lyn MacDonald's "1914" and "The Somme". If these wet your appetite then your away.

I feel there are 2 approaches to this.

1/ Read about 1914, then 1915, then 1916 and so on and hope that, at the end, it all hangs together, or

2/ Read a simple, short, one volume overview of the whole war and then read in depth about the bits.

I think I favour the latter approach. :) Phil B