Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The 69th Division??

Guest JeremyScott

Guest JeremyScott

My dad has a movie in his vast library called The Fighting 69th. It stars James Cagney, one of my favorite actors. Now my question to everyone. Werent they one of the first all American units to be sent over? I haven't been able to find any real info on them other than the movie.

Hi Jeremy,

The Fighting 69th was the 69th New York Infantry whose antecedent was one of the units of the Army of Potomac's Irish Brigade. They served with the 42nd Rainbow Division in WWI as the 165th Infantry Regiment (they became the 165th when the 69th NY was called to Federal Service, this was the case with all National Guard units).

The Fighting 69th is a film about a Regiment, not a division.

Hope this helps,

Neil

Whoops, missed the second portion of your question, they werea component of the first National Guard Division sent to France.

Good film.

Quote:-

1st Battalion - 69th Infantry Regiment

"Fighting 69th"

The history of the 1st Battalion, 69th Infantry Regiment, stretches back to the Revolutionary War, and includes service during the War of 1812 and the American Civil War, where it formed the nucleus around which the Irish Brigade was formed and fought in action as part of the Army of the Potomac from the First Bull Run through the surrender at Appomattox.

The 69th also took part in the Spanish-American War, the Mexican Border campaign, World War I, to include the Meuse-Argonne campaign and World War II, where it served in the Pacific theatre at Makin, Saipan and Okinawa.

Phil B