Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Correspondence between Edmonds and Bean

Bill Jenner

Bill,

All or most of the correspondence between Edmonds and Bean is held at the Australian War Memorial as part of the 3DRL Series.

Chris Henschke

Thanks for that. I doubt that it is online but I'll have a look. I know that Edmonds and Bean exchanged "notes" while writing the Official Histories and was after examples of their conversations, especially in connect with the Battles of Fromelles and Bullecourt. In the British OH Edmonds quotes information from the Australian OH and references it in the footnote. It would be nice however to get a feel for the amount of collaboration.

Bill

Bill

You've probably discovered by now, that as you thought, this series is not available on-line. I'd say the folders would have to be requested in person at the AWM research centre - which is probably well & truly out of the question!

However, just to give you a bit more of an idea of what they contain - I've copied the following from my Guide to Bean's collection.

From: “A guide to the personal family and official papers of C.E.W. Bean” – AWM

The Official History 1915-61

sub-series (i) correspondence, 1919-42

This sub-series consists of 53 folders of correspondence conducted by Bean and his assistants during the compilation of the fifteen volumes. …………………… Folders 27-34 contain the correspondence Bean conducted with Sir James Edmonds and other British official war historians. ………………………………………….. 3DRL 7953.

Folder 27. Correspondence, 1926-31; covers the British official history of the Gallipoli campaign, including comments on the draft by Bean and various senior Australian officers, the alleged libel of Anzac troops and Sir James Edmonds’ comments on Australian criticism; …………………

Folder 28. Corresp., 1931-32; relates to the British official history of the Gallipoli campaign ………………. correspondents include Bean, Sir James Edmonds, …………...

Folder 30. Corresp., 1929-39; relates to the British official accounts of the campaigns in France, ………………… correspondents include Bean, Sir James Edmonds, …………

Folder 31. Corresp., 1928-29; & Folder 32. Corresp., 1929-30 concerns the British official accounts of the campaigns in Egypt and Palestine ……… correspondents include Bean, Sir James Edmonds, ……

Folder 34. Corresp., 1927-39; refers to British comments and criticisms of the treatment in volumes III-VI of the Australian official history of Fromelles, Pozieres, Bullecourt, Messines, Ypres, Lys, Polygon Wood, Baron von Richtofen’s death, Lloyd George’s attempt to dismiss Field Marshal Haig, and deserters; correspondents include Bean, Sir James Edmonds, ……………………..

I was amazed when the AWM put the Official Histories on-line. Let's hope they never cease to amaze - who knows what they'll give us next ....................

Cheers, Frev

Thank you for the information, unfortunately I have no plans to visit Australia at the moment, but I did contact the AWM and have been given an estimate of about 400 pages contained in the two folders I am interested in. If I had access I would normally browse the folders and select the documents I was interested in. The alternative here is I get the lot copied. Does anybody have a copy of a Bean letter because it would be a shame to get the documents copied but find I have difficulty with the hand writing and can only read some of the documents?

Bill

Bill

There is a photo-copy of one of his diary entries in one of my books - bearing in mind that this was scribbled under pretty bad conditions at Anzac - and possibly in the dark (& in pencil?) - (& is quite faint in places) I find it quite readable. It's more like joined-up printing than the old style of writing. His correspondence written under post war conditions should be even neater (one would hope).

Having said that - I guess I'd still wait & see if someone can show you a copy of a letter (400 pages is a lot of expense) - somebody out there must have one!

Good luck.

Cheers, Frev.

• 2 weeks later...

Can you help?

Frev has given me some pointers towards the correspondence between Bean and Edmonds in relation to the writing of the respective Official Histories of Britain and Australia. In particular there is a reference to 3DRL/7953 which should contain some 53 folders of correspondence. Unfortunately when I made a request for a quote to copy some of the information it seems that the reference does not match up to anything.

What I am especially interested in is Folder 34 which according to Frev's sources should contain correspondence about British comments and criticisms of the treatment in volumes III-VI of the Australian official history of the battles of Fromelles, Pozieres, Bullecourt etc. I am particularly interested in the battles of Fromelles and Bullecourt and the differences of opinion between the two Official Histories. If I can tie down the correct ID number and folder I can request a quote for a copy because unfortunately I am not able to pop over and visit the centre myself.

Thanks for any assistance.

Bill

Update.

After adding my request I subsequently located the folders I am looking for in the database and it confirmed the references Frev gave me. I have forwarded all the information to the centre to see if it helps locate the information I am after.

However I would still be interested in any information people have in the differences of opinion that may have existed in the in the "reporting" of the battles of Fromelles and Bullecourt.

Bill

• 3 weeks later...

I have received a quote from the Australian War Memorial to copy the contents of the file 3DRL 7953/34 but as expected it was not cheap there being 380 pages to copy. I am not sure if I will go ahead as I don't know how much of the information will be relevant to the battles of Fromelles and Bullecourt.

As a mater of interest is there people who offer to go to the archives on others behalf that could more accurately retrieve any available information? If so does anybody know what the usual charge for this would be?

Regards,

Bill