Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The somme in December

dah

I've been 'released' and allowed to go for a long weekend to the Somme from December 2nd to 5th.

I'm planning to stay in/around Longueval and spend the time in walking and cycling the battlefield.

I've just noticed that the Ulster tower shuts up shop for the winter at the end of November - so that scratches one of my habitual rest stops off the list.

Can anyone advise on whether any of the following will be similarly closed for the winter?

- Thiepval Visitors Centre

- Newfoundland park

- Delville Wood

- Le Tommy

It's not the end of the world if some (or all) of them ARE closed. Just trying to avoid disappointment, wasted energy - and to maximise the daylight hours.

Thanks for any advice

David

Delville Wood is closed (it closes around 11th November every year until the following February). Le Tommy is normally open, but...

Newfoundland Park never closes as such due to the access to cemeteries but the I suspect the centre will not be open.

I seem to remember last year the Thiepval centre remained open all winter.

• 2 weeks later...

Found on the www.thiepval.org.uk website (though it could do with some updating!)

THIEPVAL visitor centre

8 rue de l’Ancre,

THIEPVAL

(tel 03.22.74.60.47 ; Fax 03.22.74.65.44)

Daily 10-5 (10-6 May - October); closed around Christmas and the New Year.

My guides to the area, which I picked up earlier this week, say that the Newfoundland Park is open "all year". The Thiepval site, above, says that its visitor centre hours (above) are the same as those for Newfoundland.

There's also the excellent Franco-Australian museum towards Amiens - but you may feel it's a bit far to cycle:

MUSEE FRANCO AUSTRALIEN

9 Rue Victoria

Villers-Bretonneux

(tel/fax 03 22 96 80 79)

museeaustralien@aol.com

Open Tues 2-6; Wed-Sat 10-12.30 & 2-6; 1st & 3rd Sun of month 2-6.

Closed Mon

Closed last week of Dec and first week of Jan.

Angela

I think you will find the Thiepval centre has changed it's opening hours since this site was made - as you say, it needs some updating. I am pretty sure it is following opening hours of the Historial in Peronne during the winter.

Have just done some phoning around:

Historial de Peronne is closed from 11 Dec to 9 Jan.

Beaumont Hamel visitor centre is closed 15 Dec-15 Jan

Thiepval - frustratingly I got only an aswerphone! Hope they will ring me back...

Angela

Thiepval visitor centre has just phoned me back to say that

they are open until 22 December.

Closed 23 Dec-8 Jan inclusive.

Opening hours daily 9-5 (from 1 May to 31 Oct, daily 10-6).

Bonne visite!

Angela

Hi Angela, :)

Thanks for the post, I never thought of these places being closed for so long !

I had thought of going between Christmas and New Year !

Cheers

Tim.

Yes, I was surprised too!

And apologies about the mistake in the post higher up:

The Franco Australian museum at V-Bretonneux is closed last week of Dec/first week of JAN (not Nov, as my fingers originally mistyped...) Have now edited the post.

Sorry if I misled anyone.

Angela

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks to all for the above information which will help me to plan my precious time and pit stops accordingly.

Delville Wood is closed (it closes around 11th November every year until the following February). Le Tommy is normally open, but...

I've not visited Le Tommy before - and will do so if only to better understand Paul's apparent qualification.

Thanks again,

David

:) Think what Paul means is that it opens when mood takes! We were there in October and it wass closed every night but managed to con our way in for some food on last night! But once in it is a great place and the Turkey Steaks are worth the trip! :P

Tony

Le Tommy has been open all this week, and has plans to continue to do so in the run up to Christmas; dispite the sub-zero temps there are a lot of people about, unusually, for this time of year!

last 3 times i have dropped into Le Tommy its been closed. Its great when its open but i suppose it on a whim!

Patrick

Just back from the 4-day trip. Excellent time - despite the lousy weather

Popped into Le Tommy on Saturday night. My first visit. Good food and beer. Not very busy - but only to be expected at this time of year. I look forward to going again another time.

Thiepval Centre seems to be open every day.

Delville Wood facilities (as Paul advised) were closed....so I had the wood all to myself, although some of the Sunday morning shooting from nearby woods seemd awfully close. Helped to conjure up an atmosphere.

Stayed B&B at 'Trones View' (also first time) in Longueval run by Peter & Sarah Wright. Had an excellent time with them. Great location for walking and cycling the southern and eastern sector too.

David