Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Thanks for Help

Mark Hone

Although I've given a couple of thank yous on individual threads I'd like to make a special point of thanking all the members of the forum who helped with the research for our 2005 School Battlefields Tour to Hooge, Loos and Aubers Ridge. Loads of people helped with individual minor queries but in particular I'd lke to thank Will Fergie and Robert Bulloch for info on Aubers Ridge which enabled me to do a detailed recce in the summer and successful stands on the tour. Also I got a lot of advice from several members on Loos which put me on the track of the Alexandre Villedieu museum and our not to be forgotten ascent of the Double Crassier. Also Belgian Pals Kristof and Jacky in Ieper.

Without the forum it would be far more difficult, if not impossible to devise the individual, unique itineraries for each of our tours.

We have plans to do two Somme tours next year. We are hoping to take a small group of older boys to the 1st July commemorations, providing that we can find suitable accommodation! We particularly want to visit Montauban where 3 Bury Grammar school boys died in the Manchester Pals' capture of the village on 1st July. Our 'normal' tour will be at October half-term. The rough itinerary is Day 1 'First Strike': The Accrington Pals at Serre ( BGS pupil John Kershaw was a platoon commander, was wounded and went on to be battalion adjutant and sometime CO), 1st LF at the Sunken Road, Lochnagar Crater, La Boiselle (the great-grandfather of one of our tour regulars was killed outside the church on 4th July), Carnoy, Montauban

Day 2 'The Dark Wood': Delville Wood, High Wood, Guedecourt, Ovillers (JRR Tolkien and 11th LF), Thiepval (11 BGS pupils commemorated), Serre (where my great-uncle was killed with 10th Royal Welsh Fusiliers on 13th November attacking over the same ground as the Accrington Pals) and Serre Road No 2, location of Wilfred Owen's poem 'The Sentry. Phew!