Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

USS Texas

Guest JeremyScott

Guest JeremyScott

Im curious as to what kind of action the Battleship Texas provided during the war. Only stuff I can find is on her ww2 service record which she represented her home state with great honour.

Hi Jeremy

The USS Texas was part of the Pacific Fleet Battleship Force, 4th Battleship Squadron, 6th Divison with the Wyoming (flag) Arkansas, and New York. This was in 1919.

Just a little side note. To raise money for moving the ship to it's berth near the San Jacinto monument, the school children of Texas were asked to contribute pennies, nickles, and dimes. Each child then received a little white card declaring him or her an "honorary Admiral" in the Texas Navy. I know this because I was one of those children and I kept that card for years. Unfortunately, I can no longer find it, but remember it vividly.

Ann

Texas must have worked with the RN as Texas was assigned a Pendant No while working with the RN of OA. Arkansa was 1A, Utah3A from April 1918.

aye

Malcolm

Nice site, good pics.

The US ships formed the 6th BS, and according to Fullarton, the US were specifically asked to send coal-fired ships to reduce the demand on oil stocks.

Oddly, though, he refers to the US Admiral as "RodMER". Every other reference I've seen calls him "RodMAN".

HELLO

Admiral Hugh Rodman was born on 6 January 1859 and died on 7 June 1940. His biography is available.

All best

don

Guest JeremyScott
Taken in poor weather conditions in March this year

post-86-1131567387.jpg

I live about 10 minutes from where the Texas is berthed. It is one of my favorite places to go to. I make an annual trip to go down there. I also visit the San Jacinto Battlefield which is right across the street. I have family that fought at San Jacinto.

• 1 year later...

Just wanted to add this pic from the National D-Day memorial in Bedford Virginia. Although the memorial is obviously focused on WWII this plaque does mention the WWI service of the USS Texas. (Sorry the image is poor, but I'll include the relevants bits below.)

During World War I Texas served with the Grand Fleet and at war's end rejoined the Atlantic Fleet. post-1626-1167444942.jpg

Andy

• 4 weeks later...

There is a book "U.S. Battleship Operations in World War I" Jerry W. Jones that should have some info on the U.S.S. Texas in WW I. Please also note this ship was involved in the 1914 intervention at Vera Cruz.