Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Basil Frederick Murray Hughes

Clive Temple

Hughes died in an accident which explains why there is so little information available.

My best guess is that he was attached to one of the seaplane carriers. There was a strong Naval presence in the vicinity of Gibralter to close off access to the Med., it is possible that his ship was there temporarily or even passing through en route to the Aegean theatre. Another possibility, there was an RNAS seaplane base stationed at Malta.

If you can get to the National Archive or to Yeovilton, his ADM273 file will probably tell where he was serving. Also at Kew you will find RNAS Disposition Lists for 1915, giving fully details of his locations throughout the year.

I very much doubt if you will find anything worthwhile on the net.

Mike

Thank you Mike.

Hi Clive

Hughes was actually serving at Gibraltar at the time of his death, having been appointed there on the 6th September 1915. His career was tragically short, entering the RNAS on 23rd July 1915 at Eastchurch where he gained R Aero Club Cert 1570 ao 2nd August 1915. He served at Eastchurch until his appointment to Gibraltar. He is buried in North Front cemetery with a private headstone erected by his comrades. I have a photo of this headstone somewhere, but cant find it at present. If you are interested in an image of this please e-mail me. Hope this helps

Regards Duncan

Duncan,

have you any more information on Royal Naval Air Station Gibralter? This is one that has escaped me!

Cheers,

Mike

Hi Mike, I don't know much about the air station itsself, but it is listed as a station in the Navy List of July1916 at which time there were 7 officers listed. From personnel sources I know that A.C.Barnby was listed as CO from 24th May1915 to 26th March 1916 and A.B.Gaskell from 25th February 1916 to May1917 or later. Yes I know that they overlap. There were maintenance personnel present until at least October 1917. In RAF days there was a Kite Balloon Section at Gibraltar. Maintenance personnel were present by July 1918, but I have no trace of officers until October 1918 when there were a large number of them present. Hopefully someone else will be able to add more to this very meagre reply.

Regards Duncan

Hi Clive

Hughes was actually serving at Gibraltar at the time of his death, having been appointed there on the 6th September 1915. His career was tragically short, entering the RNAS on 23rd July 1915 at Eastchurch where he gained R Aero Club Cert 1570 ao 2nd August 1915. He served at Eastchurch until his appointment to Gibraltar. He is buried in North Front cemetery with a private headstone erected by his comrades. I have a photo of this headstone somewhere, but cant find it at present. If you are interested in an image of this please e-mail me. Hope this helps

Regards Duncan

Wonderful stuff, thank you yes I'd love to have a copy of the photo (pref at a high dpi for printing) I'm researching a poss book on the Slinfold men who gave their lives.

Thanks Duncan - got it!

As you say, Squadron Commander Gaskell was in charge according to the 5th February 1917 Disposition list, I'll try and go back further this afternoon.

Gaskell was a qualified seaplane pilot as were the other pilots that I'm about to list:

FSL FUY Weldon (attached to Gibralter from 22/6/16)

FSL FR Bibby (attached to Gibralter from 8/8/16)

FSL MB Walker (attached to Gibralter from 26/10/16)

FSL AL Grear (attached to Gibralter from 29/12/16)

There was also an Engineering Officer, Warrant Officer JC Andrews.

So..... unfortunately none of the above were colleagues of Huges who died on the 1st December 1915. We need to go back a lot further. I will be copying 1915 Disposition Lists the next time I get up to Kew but it won't be this year.

Mike

Thanks Duncan - got it!

As you say, Squadron Commander Gaskell was in charge according to the 5th February 1917 Disposition list, I'll try and go back further this afternoon.

Gaskell was a qualified seaplane pilot as were the other pilots that I'm about to list:

FSL FUY Weldon (attached to Gibralter from 22/6/16)

FSL FR Bibby (attached to Gibralter from 8/8/16)

FSL MB Walker (attached to Gibralter from 26/10/16)

FSL AL Grear (attached to Gibralter from 29/12/16)

There was also an Engineering Officer, Warrant Officer JC Andrews.

So..... unfortunately none of the above were colleagues of Huges who died on the 1st December 1915. We need to go back a lot further. I will be copying 1915 Disposition Lists the next time I get up to Kew but it won't be this year.

Mike

Thank you Mike, bear me in mind.