Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Calling All Royal Fusiliers Experts

Chris_Baker

I am studying a Royal Fusiliers soldier with the very short regimental number of 293, and trying to pin him down to a battalion.

From Soldiers Died I can see men with similarly short numbers but there does not appear to be a strong pattern to their battalions. Many were in 9th Bn, but by no means all.

To complicate matters even further, a different soldier with the same number appears in Soldiers Died, identified as being with 3rd Bn.

Can anyone offer any insight into this?

The Royal Fusiliers was a regiment that widely used a prefix in conjunction with the issue of regimental numbers; without the prefix it is very difficult to work out a mans battalion as the same sequence of numbers would be used over and over again - with only the prefix to differentiate it from another.

A possible clue would be the date overseas if hes a 1915 man?

The Royal Fusiliers medal rolls normally give exact dates of overseas service, as well.

Hope this helps Chris!

Just to round this off, the soldier with number 293 was initially assigned to the 5th Bn RF ( a Reserve Bn), and at some point renumbered 47803. I am still trying to determine which front-line battalion he was posted to, but I know he was wounded on the Somme on 4 August 1916 so that will narrow it down a little.