Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

john william straughan

hendy

i am trying to trace agreat uncle, john william straughan born1876 and lived North Shields ibelieve he joined the tynside scottish andwas in the labour corps but i have found out from a distant relative in australia who happen to have one of his medals which bears the number 34554PTE w straughan LINC R Regiment but i cannont find out anything about him he was probably known as william and he died during the early part of the first world war i cant find a grave for him so i assume he was missing in action hoping someone can help thanks

Here is his Medal index Card which will show you his campaign medal entitlement if you pay to download it:

Medal card of Strangham, William

Corps Regiment No Rank

Lincolnshire Regiment 34554 Private

Labour Corps 27418 Private

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...1&resultcount=2

It would appear that he did not die until later in the war as the Labour Corps was not created until 1-1-1917.

Steve.

The Tyneside Scottish William Straughan could be this one:

Name: STRAUGHAN

Initials: W

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Northumberland Fusiliers

Unit Text: 20th (Tyneside Scottish) Bn.

Date of Death: 09/03/1916

Service No: 20/124

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: I. G. 23.

Cemetery: ERQUINGHEM-LYS CHURCHYARD EXTENSION

http://www.cwgc.org/cwgcinternet/casualty_...casualty=192870

No helpful details to ID him, I'm afraid.

His MIc confirms him as a William.

Is this man a red herring, though i wonder...

Steve.

Aha!

Sometimes they are hiding...

Name: STRAUGHAM, WILLIAM

Regiment: Labour Corps

Unit Text: 46th Coy.

Date of Death: 25/09/1917

Service No: 7418

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 160 and 162A and 163A.

Cemetery: TYNE COT MEMORIAL

http://www.cwgc.org/cwgcinternet/casualty_...casualty=826576

That would place his death at the 3rd Battle of Ypres.

You were right with Missing. Tyne Cot is the Memorial for those lost at Ypres with no known grave.

7418 in the Labour Corps was a Patrick O'Brien, so the number here seems wrong, but is nevertheless too close to William Straughan's MIC number, and with a fairly rare name, so it is likely to be him.

3 name variations and a number error. Par for the course for WW1 research!

Steve.

Aha!

Sometimes they are hiding...

Name: STRAUGHAM, WILLIAM

Regiment: Labour Corps

Unit Text: 46th Coy.

Date of Death: 25/09/1917

Service No: 7418

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 160 and 162A and 163A.

Cemetery: TYNE COT MEMORIAL

http://www.cwgc.org/cwgcinternet/casualty_...casualty=826576

That would place his death at the 3rd Battle of Ypres.

You were right with Missing. Tyne Cot is the Memorial for those lost at Ypres with no known grave.

7418 in the Labour Corps was a Patrick O'Brien, so the number here seems wrong.

3 name variations and a number error. Par for the course for WW1 research!

Steve.

thanks for your help steve what would geordie be doing in a lilnconshire regiment

If you look at the signature on my post you'll see "Herbert William Beeby" Black Watch. From Peterborough, Cambs (or Northants back then). Not a drop of Scotch blood in him. Enlisted London.

And he was a volunteer too. At the start of the war, men could basically join whatever Regiment they liked within reason, though many joined their "local" Regiment.

He may have been working in Lincolnshire at the time, if he was a volunteer. Later in the War, the later volunteers and conscripts went where they were put so it was quite possible for a Scotsman to be in the Hampshire regiment, or vice versa.

The Lincolnshire number seems fairly high, though I have no special insight into their numbers, so it is possible he joined later in the War (end of 1915, early 1916?) and went where he was needed.

The Lincolnshire's had lost many casualties at the battle of Loos in October 1915 so possibly a draft of replacements to one of those Regiments. The MIC only carries the units AFTER the man went overseas so he could have been in the N. Fusiliers before going abroad. Only his Service Records would give details of his earlier service. Only 30% of these survived the Blitz. They can be viewed at the national archives at Kew.

Steve.

Soldiers Died in the Great War has the following:

Private William Straugham

7418, Labour Corps

Died 25th September 1917

Born: Carham, Northumberland

Enlisted: Newcastle-on-Tyne

Residence: Eglingham, Northumberland

Formerly 34554, Lincs. R.

Regards

Pam

thanks pam that is where william was bornand he moved to a farm near eglingham with his gran and grandad before moving to north shields with his brother and he must have enlisted from there

Looking at the Lincs. service numbers around him, we get these

Linc. reg. Labour Corps.

34530 26664

34511 26823

34506 26820

34524 26856

34509 26822

34513 31040

34510 23821

34523 26790

This is the first page of 10 men of which these 7 have very similar "careers". Only 7 men I know, but there are 119 results of which the vast majority seem to be the same sets of numbers.

When the Labour Corps was created on 1-1-17 it "swept up" all the previous Labour Battalions in the Infantry and the men were transferred to the labour Corps and given a new number. This initial wave of renumbering included over 100000 men and a lot of these renumbers were allocated in early 1917.

My guess would be that William was in the Labour Battalion of the Lincolnshire Regiment, probably due to his age.

This was the 12th Battalion:

"12th (Labour) Battalion

Formed in Brocklesby, July 1916. August 1916 : landed in France, moved to Lines of Communication. April 1917 : transferred to Labour Corps as 16th and 17th Labour Coys. "

He wasn't in the 16th or 17th when he died so he may have transferred later (or I'm talking rubbish)

Steve.

further to john william straughan he had a brother that joined up George [born 1867] and nephew called jack who ran away to the north of scotland to join up i have a card from him which is hard to make out but i think it is 27752 C coy Camerons dated sept 27th 1918 ithink they both survived the war although george was never heard of again

Jack/John, not unusual for John's to be called Jack...

Medal card of Straughan, John

Corps Regiment No Rank

Cameron Highlanders S/27752 Private

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...1&resultcount=1

Steve.

thanks steve yes i think he got called john this is probably him im sorry ihave nothimg at all on george only he was born at carham in northumberland and nothing much else is known about him

There are 12 George Straughan's (ignoring the possibility of more mangled names)

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...=1&mediaarray=*

Curiously (or is it significantly) there is another man with the same sort of record as William:

Medal card of Straughan, George Ed

Corps Regiment No Rank

Lincolnshire Regiment 39905 Private

Labour Corps 31617 Private

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...&resultcount=12

A possibility?

Steve.

yes steve that could be possible they could havejoined up together i dont knw if george had a middle name or not but it looks if that could be our man