Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

St Quetin War Crime?

armourersergeant

I have just read an article about two British soldiers who were cut off when the BEF left St Quentin in 1914. Pvt Thomas Hands and Pvt John Hughes were hidden by some French people until betrayed by other French civilians. As both were wearing civilian cloths they were both tried and condemed to death as spies. I think i am right that under the geneva convention this is by the book but i am sure it would have been obvious that they were only evading capture. Though it does apperar that one of the men took to walking about the town which could constitute 'intelliegence gathering'

My question is not 'is this a war crime?' but would this have perhaps been done to stop the civilian population from aiding and helping either spies or soldiers to evade capture. What was the stance by allied armies in situations like this? As a military gouvenor i can see advantages for setting an example.

As an aside the girl who denounced them was arrested and tried after the war and sentenaced to death in 1921. I suppose this may have been classed as treason?

Comments anyone

Arm.

Guest Ian Bowbrick

The story of these two soldiers has been well documented. In fact one of them lived with a local lady and they had a baby girl, who I believe is still alive (?).

In times of war soldiers behind enemy lines in civies is always regarded as clandestine, hence the use of the death penalty. One argument that could be used by the Germans was that the men had not made an effort to re-join their units, they simply decided to 'takeup residence' in St Quentin. This may have led them to suspect that there was a reason for Hands & Hughes to do this, perhaps to spy.

In answer to your question, NO IMHO it was not a war crime.

I don't know whether the Allies executed German soldiers in similar situations in France, but the British did execute by firing squad a number of captured German spies during the course of the war.

Ian

:)

It sounds virtually identical to the true story told in 'A Foreign Field'

The men concerned are buried in Le Catelet Churchyard, Aisne - Pte Donohoe (RIF), Pte Martin (RIF), Pte Thorpe (Royal Lancasters) & Pte Digby (Hants Regt).

The executions were on 27.05.16 (3) and 30.05.16 (1 - Digby)

Or is this two different but similar events?

different men so similar events i assume, bith must be well documented. I came across the story in the battlefield series book by Helen Mcphail and Phillip Guest 'ST Quentin '

Arm

Ps there was probably many such instances like this that went unreported aswell.