Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

R.G.A

gunner

Hi I`m new to this site so hello to all members.

Looking for any info on this battery as the war diaries are listed as lost.

AKA CORNWALL ROYAL GARRISON ARTILLERY my GF was in this at start of war,

have his service records but some are damaged and un readable

Thank you ;)

Gunner,

As promised,

From The Territorial Force by Ray Westlake RGA( Defended Ports)

HQ Falmouth, No 1 Heavy battery Padstow with drill stns at St. Merryn, Charlestown, Bugle and Par.

No2 Heavy Battery Penzance with drill stns at St. Just and St. Buryan. No 3 Company, Looe No 4 Company Marazion, No 5 company St Ives,No 6 Company Falmouth No7 Comany Truro.

Part of South west defences. ( At the outbreak of war)

Roger.

• 3 months later...

Gunner - I don't believe it at last, my great grandfather was also in the 110th Heavy Battery RGA, he served with them from 1915 until 1919 recieving the MM in the process however, we don't know how any info you may have would be appreciated. I have a little information on the battery but not much, they seem to have moved around quite a lot being in the 67th Brigade in 1917 and 36th I think in 1918, unfortunately I haven't got any of the info to hand. It's taken me 2 years to get this far! - Regards David

• 2 years later...
Hi I`m new to this site so hello to all members.

Looking for any info on this battery as the war diaries are listed as lost.

AKA CORNWALL ROYAL GARRISON ARTILLERY my GF was in this at start of war,

have his service records but some are damaged and un readable

Thank you ;)

Hello Gunner,

Are you still out there?

Over the past year or so I've managed to gain a little more information on the 110th if you're still interested!?! including PRO reference numbers for the war diaries.

Regards

David

Sorry to burst the balloon here lads but there were actually two R.G.A. Batteries named 110th, neither of which had anything to do with Cornwall,R.G.A., because they were both war raised units. They were 110th(Heavy)Battery, R.G.A. which was formed at Woolwich on the 25th August 1914 and 110th(Siege)Battery, R.G.A., which was formed at Sheerness on the 14th February 1916.

So now you have two 110th Batteries to choose from neither of which have Cornwall R.G.A. connections.

Now having said that 46th(Siege)Battery,R.G.A. was formed from the nucleus of Cornwall R.G.A. personnel at Tynemouth on the 30th July 1915.

The same can also be said of 134th(Cornwall)Heavy Battery, R.G.A. converted at Woolwich on the 17th August 1915 from the 1/1st & 2/1st (Heavy)Batteries, Cornwall R.G.A.

So which is it to be??

Graham.

134th Cornwall Battery served in East Africa from November 1915 to around December 1917 so I doubt it was that mob. They were however reformed into a new battery whos number etc escapes me.

Roop

Graham,

Many thanks for your info, this is now starting to make sense from the family history that I know now that the Cornwall connection has been removed from the equation as that side of the family was from the London area (although they did move to Cornwall at some point in the early 1900's hence the confusion).

However, as is the way with War Office records my GGF according to the medal record cards was listed as serving in the 110th (Heavy)Battery RGA on the MM medal record card and the 110th (Seige) Battery RGA on the Victory Medal card!!!!!! Help!

Any information on either would be appreciated.

Once again many thanks

Regards

David

Dave

As you can see from the allocation of batteries 110th Siege personnel only went out to France in May 1916 and operated the 220 mm trench mortars until August 1916. These were the "heavy" trench mortars.

If he won a MM during this time ie before Aug 16 it may explain the "heavy" on the MIC. 110th Siege went on to become a normal 6 inch Howitzer battery, hence the difference in MIC description.

It's just an idea, maybe, mmmm, I wonder?

Stuart

post-6041-1138042220.jpg

Stuart,

Many thanks for the attached document, however, from the information I have it gives his embarkation date to France as 15th September 1915 which looks to rule him out of the siege battery and place him in the heavy battery!

The MM award was Gazetted on 17th April 1917 which if you go back a month should give a time frame of mid March to mid April 1917. From the many websites I have visited and the multitude of books this leaves the battle of Arras, in particular "the Scarpe" as the most likely action.

From the family hearsay, and I stress hearsay, it would appear that he won the MM for rescuing/saving a group of French civillians, but that can't be confirmed as we don't have the citation or anybody alive that can confirm this or otherwise and as he wasn't an Officer, that rules the Gazette out as well.

Again any help would be appreciated.

Regards

David

David

I don't see why you should allow the facts to get in the way of a perfectly good theory!

What about going down the local newspaper route?

These can be a good source of info, sometimes giving a description of local boy done good, picture, quote, etc. If you find a local paper/s make sure to read all the way through to when he came home and a bit beyond. A lot of men on their return, either on leave or at the end of hostilities had little civic receptions to mark being awarded a MM . I have read of just such cases, one chap was given a gold watch by the town for getting a MM.

Stuart

Stuart,

Now why didn't I think of that!

I'll try that avenue and see if I can get any further.

Many thanks

David

• 1 month later...

The 110th Heavy Battery was one of a series of fifteen heavy batteries that were formed in the late summer and autumn of 1914 (109th through 123rd) from Regular Army men who had been made redundant by the reservists, TF units, Special Reserve units and locally-raised units that were assigned to the coast defence companies in the British Isles and Malta at the start of the war. (There may also have been a smattering of reservists who had served with heavy batteries before the war. The war diary of the 5th Siege Battery records that fifty such men were left behind when that unit was sent to France.)

With this in mind, it is not unlikely that the soldier in question began his service with the Cornwall RGA before the war and found himself transferred to the 110th Heavy Battery soon after the outbreak of hostilities.