Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Soldiers Effects Records

alanh

I got this from NAM. As I suspected not very informative, although does confirm that my man was in Royal Fusiliers before 29th Londons, although it would have been nice to know which Bn. Would he have been posted to a Home Battallion because of Hospitalisation and given a new number?

Alan

post-196-1131350610.jpeg

Hi Alan

I can't help with your queries but it would be great to know more about soldiers' effects records. Would you mind telling us a little more about this resource?... I have to say that I don't know anything about it: do you have to write to NAM? is it a print-out from a database?

Thanks!

Hi Alan

I can't help with your queries but it would be great to know more about soldiers' effects records. Would you mind telling us a little more about this resource?... I have to say that I don't know anything about it: do you have to write to NAM? is it a print-out from a database?

Thanks!

These are records kept by NAM offsite at Donnington. The entries vary in detail, some of the Soldiers’ Effects records can include date of enlistment, but by no means do they all. If you send a cheque payable to the National Army Museum for £10 and include the name and regiment (and service number if you have it) of the individual you are interested in they will undertake the research , but they only go to do this research at Donnington when they have enough look ups to make the journey worthwhile ( I waited from June and got an answer on 2nd November). Address for this is

Kate Portelli

Department of Archives, Photographs, Film and Sound

National Army Museum

Royal Hospital Road

Chelsea

London

SW3 4HT

kportelli@national-army-museum.ac.uk

Tel 0207 7300717 Ext 2241

Not always 5 months wait, apparently I was just unlucky

i got lucky, sent a postal orde in late October as when I phoned, they said someone was due to go up in November - so I too recieved a form late last week.

Not a lot on it, but I nevertheless interesting. :D

Can anyone make any genuine sense of what some of the file/registration numbers relate to?

regards

doogal