Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A little competition.

CROONAERT

Here are a couple of photos I took recently. Anyone know what they are of and their exact location?

(I'm expecting immediate answers from our seasoned "field walkers" out there!!! :P).

Dave.

Photo 1...

post-8-1060634926.jpg

....Photo 2..... (sorry about the size - I forgot to alter them!!! :unsure: )

post-8-1060635113.jpg

Dave,

Is it fort De Souville?

Cooper

I think it is a fort in France, but I don't know more. Give us a hint, Dave. Or does Christina know already the answer?

Jan

looks like my back garden, must get it cleared one day!

Arm.

remains of a Vauban fortification near Laon ?

Mind you, now I think of it, I've got loads of unintelligible photos of walls that I could post. Perhaps someone would recognise those too...where I've forgotten what they are! (Not suggesting you have, Dave).

Christina

Surprised no-one's mentioned the Amazon yet! I did feel a little like Indiana Jones in taking these pictures.

So far Iain's the nearest with his answer of the Bluff. It's very near to here. If I posted another photo taken from the other end, I think it'd give the game away, so I'll wait a little.

Dave.

It is indeed, Mike. Any idea which one though?

Here's another snap....

post-8-1060697984.jpg

Hi Dave,

Since you are so fond of playing riddle games and teasing us with "a little competition"...

What follows might be a good idea ?...

I couldn't help noticing your posting of 2 days ago (in a thread "Terlincthun Cemetery", in which you wrote about your car having had ...

"to be towed from East Flanders to Lancashire, without even being able to stop at my favourite (SECRET !!!) beer shop on the way !!!"

Knowing the area where you took the photos, could your favourite and secret beer shop perhaps be in the same area ?

I bet you don't have the courage to make it "a little competition" for the Forumnists to guess where your secret place is ? For of course your secret would not be a secret anymore ? ;)

And I'm sure you must have a photo somewhere showing yourself and your dark secret ?

Aurel Sercu

I'll go for lock 6bis as well. As for Dave's favourite beer shop that surely has to be the farm on the road South from Pop to the border.

Garth

(...) As for Dave's favourite beer shop that surely has to be the farm on the road South from Pop to the border.

Garth

Garth,

Well, that small farm right of the road Poperinge - French border certainly is my favourite beer shop. (Doesn't the sign say : "More than 200 different brands" ?) And as Dave no doubt with all his experience must have a good (beer) taste, it must be the same. (Yours too, Garth ?)

Come on, Dave, where are you ? Time to admit : your secret is no secret anymore ...

Aurel

Dave, don't answer this one just yet, not the beer place but the lock. I think I was there in April and am trying to figure out just where I was. It was in a park in the Salient and on a path through the woods and I have to figure just where.

Paul

If I have the right place think about the following: a "Dalek" monument, near some british command bunkers and a CWGC cemetery the last four letters of which are -bank.

That's only if I got the right place myself. Also if memory serves me right another nearby cemetery is named after the city in which a channel 4 soap is filmed

Garth

Garth I am in the USA and soap is not a hint to me, you may mean Spoilbank, do not know what A Dalek is. I just can't remember where I saw it and don't know its the one pictured. I have sent an email asking Tony Noyes if he remembers. I just asked Dave not to tell us yet so post your guess! And good luck.

The main thing to me is what I saw was definitely in a nature park of some kind with trails through it. I have tried looking at a map on WFA site but names are so small they are unreadable. Besides I have a decent knowledge of the Salient I just cannot remember where I was.

Right. Time to come clean now! People are hitting pretty near the mark. The lock is between the Bluff and Spoilbank (pretty much at the halfway mark) and is an unnamed (on the Trench maps that I have seen) one.It's an extra one between Lock 6 bis and Lock 7, not far from "Norfolk Lodge". My other motive for this thread was to find out if anyone knew it's name (or even if it has one!) as I don't have a clue!!!

Paul. The park you refer to is the Palingbeek, and this lock can be found within.

Aurel and Garth. You're very (very!) close, but it looks like my secret's still safe with me yet!!!! :P

Dave.

The lock in question is at the centre of this 1918 trench map extract....

Dave.

post-8-1060813055.jpg

...and is also shown on this modern map...

post-8-1060813167.jpg